Share by Rules overview
Through setting up sharing permissions with applications, you determine which of your data you'd like to make available to that application. You can share your entire district, specific schools, certain sections, or create custom sharing rules.
Sharing by rules allow you to share only data that meet certain criteria. It is different from Sharing by Sections in two ways:
- Rules are dynamically updating - this means that if you sync new data and more sections meet the criteria you set, those sections will be automatically shared.
- You can more easily share large numbers of sections through rules instead of by checking individual boxes.
What is a rule?
A rule allows you to scope down from all the sections synced with Clever to a single set of sections. For example, a rule could be:
- All the math classes in a particular school;
- The math classes for grades 3-6 in the district, except for in two schools; or
- One specific teacher’s 11th grade homeroom class.
Think of a rule as a sentence:
“Match all sections where <a field in Clever> <is/is not/contains> <value>”
How do I create a rule?
- Access the Sharing Permissions page for an application. To do this, log in to your Clever account and click the icon for the app or the name of the app in the sidebar. Once you’re on the 'Data Sharing' tab, click Share by Rules.
- On the next screen choose the type of rule you want to create. You can build off one of our pre-existing templates, or create your own.
- You'll then be brought to a page to create your rule.
Our interface allows you to create rules with the same structure as outlined in “What is a Rule?” (“Share all sections where <a field in Clever> <is/is not/contains> <value>”).
The available fields in Clever are:
- Course Name
- Course Number
- Section Grade
- SIS ID
- Teacher SIS ID
- Term Name
The modifiers you can use are:
- equals any of
- does not equal any of
- does not contain
For values, you can either type in any value you’d like, or use it as a search bar to find and click on the value you want.
If you’d like to scope a rule down even further, you can click the ‘Add a new filter' button to add new criteria.
Here’s an example rule: I want to share all 1st or 2nd grade classes in Pineapple where the name of the class contains the word “Homeroom”.
Below this rule, you’ll see a list of data that meet these criteria, so you can make sure that the rule you’re using correctly captures the data you want:
Once the rule is ready, click 'Done editing', and save!
Can I have static rules?
Sometimes you want to share sections but don’t want the list to dynamically update with additional syncs You can do this by creating a rule based on the SIS IDs of the sections you’d like to share. The rule will only share the SIS IDs you specify:
“Match all sections where SIS ID > equals any of > sis id values”
Can I have multiple rules?
Absolutely! Once you click the ‘Add Rule’ button, you can add an additional rule. Please note when you add an additional rule, the two rules are mutually exclusive. This means if you want to build off the existing rule, you'll want to add a filter to the rule itself (see above), rather than create a new rule entirely.
Can I edit or delete a rule?
You can delete a rule by clicking the red ‘X’ button next to the rule. You can edit an existing rule by clicking the pencil button next to the rule.
Sharing Permissions: Basic
Sharing Permissions: Advanced