Even after your data syncs with Clever, you may have missing or non-unique information that could affect application performance. The impact of missing and non-unique data within the application varies, but in many cases, students and teachers cannot access an application. Because of this, resolving data warnings is an important troubleshooting step when something looks off in an application. For example:
- Two teachers sharing a non-unique teacher_number could log both teachers into the same account;
- Two students sharing a non-unique email could prevent both students from logging in
- Students without credentials.district_usernames will not be able to access the application.
Data Warnings provide actionable statistics that allow you to resolve these discrepancies.
Data Requirements: Users and sections that do not pass an application’s data requirements will not appear properly in the application, or likely may not sync to the application at all. These data requirements must be resolved in order to use the application.
Data Warnings: These warnings typically have less severe consequences than Data Requirements, but affected records may have a degraded experience in the application.
Where can I find Data Warnings?
Data Warnings are specific to each application. You can view your Data Warnings by clicking on 'Data Warnings' on the left-hand menu in the Dashboard, or clicking on an application and going to its 'Data Validation' tab. You can click on “Export to CSV” to view a list of the records impacted by this application’s Data Warning.
Each application connected to your Clever account requires specific fields to be populated in Clever. Issues related to missing information show the number of records without data in those fields. To resolve these issues, update your data to include the missing values.
Records missing the credentials.district_username field:
- SFTP syncs: Add the “Username” column to your students.csv file or teachers.csv file. The username should be unique across the district
- Clever-managed Auto Sync: Submit a sync customization request to Clever Support. Our team can map a field of your choosing to the credentials.district_username field in Clever in order to resolve this Data Warning.
- SIS-managed Auto Sync: Reach out to your SIS and request that they add a “Username” column to the students.csv or teachers.csv file sent to Clever.
Issues related to non-unique information will be listed in Data Warnings for the fields below, regardless of which applications are connected to your Clever account. The issue will include every record that shares each non-unique field value. To resolve these issues, update your data to provide a unique value for every record sharing the same information.
- Students with non-unique emails
- Students with non-unique student_numbers
- Teachers with non-unique emails
- Teachers with non-unique teacher_numbers
Resolving Data Warnings
Click on 'Export to CSV' to download a .csv file with a list of affected records. To resolve each data warning, you’ll need to update the data syncing in Clever. For Auto Syncs, make changes directly in your Student Information System, and they’ll be updated in Clever upon your next sync. For SFTP syncs, corrections need to be reflected in all future SFTP file uploads.
Check out this instructional video on Data Warnings: