Setting up Single Sign-On with Google
Clever single sign-on (SSO) allows students and teachers to log in using their Google credentials. Here's how to set up single sign-on (SSO) with Google:
1. Google email addresses need to be synced to users' "Email" fields in Clever.
- Check in the Data Browser under the "Email" field that a Google email address is populated
- Google email addresses can be synced to Clever from your SIS, or side-loaded on their own. For more information on side-loading emails, read here.
- Click ‘Portal' on the sidebar and then click on SSO Settings.
- In the upper, right-hand side click 'Add Login Method.'
- Select ‘Google Authentication’ as your identity provider.
- Confirm the Google email source
- Click 'Save' at the bottom of the screen!
Please Note: If your district is using Google as your identity provider (IDP), you can apply a setting from your Clever district dashboard > Portal > SSO Settings page that will automatically log users out of Google when they log out of Clever. This is helpful in situations where multiple users are logging in to Clever on a shared device. To do this, use the 'Edit settings' option for Google and check the 'Force Google logout when users log out of Clever' box and then save. More information can be found here: What are best practices for logging out of shared devices?
3. Test a user's login credentials. You'll need the Google credentials of a teacher or student that is synced to Clever via the SIS data. To test:
- Visit your district’s new Portal URL.
- Sign in with the Google credentials of the teacher/student (must be a Google email address that is synced in Clever).
- You should be logged in to the Clever Portal!
4. (Optional)From the settings page, you can also choose to append your district's Google domain to the login box when users log into Clever via Google. The domain must match across the district all user types.