Most Clever Portal login errors can be resolved quickly and easily! There are three common types of errors:
- Portal URL Errors
- Identity Provider Errors
- Authentication Errors
Please note: if an error can be solved by your district’s IT department, and a contact is provided in your Instant Login Settings page, that contact information will appear on the Login Help page.
Authentication Errors can be found and fixed by district admins in their Clever dashboard. Check out this video for details on how to use the Logs feature.
Portal URL Errors
It’s easy for users to type in the wrong URL, so checking there is a good first step when troubleshooting. If possible, bookmark the URL on student computers to reduce mistyping.
Typing in a Portal URL that doesn’t exist will give you an ‘Unknown page’ error:
Typing in a Portal URL that belongs to another district will bring you to that district’s login page. If a user tries to log in with their credentials, they’ll see an error message like this:
Finding your Portal URL
If you’re unsure what your district’s Portal URL is, you can find or change it on the Instant Login Settings page of your Clever Dashboard.
Additionally, navigating to https://clever.com/login will allow users to search for their school by name, helping them find the right Instant Login Portal.
Identity Provider Errors
If a student or teacher attempts to log in to your identity provider and gets an error, that implies that the user is typing in an incorrect username and/or password. An example could be a student typing in their username as ASmit instead of ASmith, causing an error to appear on that login page.
If a user is seeing an error in this step, check with your identity provider to verify or reset their credentials.
A common error is that a user logs in to the identity provider (IDP) but is unable to authenticate into Clever.
Here are a few reasons why this might happen:
- The user has an account with your IDP, but their data is not yet synced with Clever. When the IDP tries to authenticate against Clever, it searches for the user in Clever but fails because that user doesn’t exist.
- To fix, an administrator can confirm that the user does not exist in Clever and add them (please email submit a ticket if you need help adding users to your Clever data!)
- If you’re using Instant Login via Google Apps, check to make sure the user’s email address in Clever matches the Google Apps email address they’re logging in with.
- If you’re using a different IDP and all users are affected, your claims rules may be improperly set up - your IDP is sending one attribute (such as email address) with a field in Clever that contains a different attribute (such as student number).
- If it affects only some users and not all, those users’ attributes (like email address) in Clever does not match what your IDP is sending - check to make sure that these two are consistent.
Check out this video explaining the three common errors:
What if I don't see my error here?
If you’re seeing an error that isn’t covered in this help center article, please do the following:
- Make note of the exact step in the login process where the error occurred;
- Take a screenshot of the error, including the URL of the page you’re on; and
- Contact Clever Support with the details so we can help you resolve the issue!