Secure Sync Rostering steps:
- Sign up for your Clever Account
- What is Clever Secure Sync?
- Sync data from your SIS to Clever
- Troubleshooting 101: Using your Clever Data Browser
- Adding applications
- Share data with each application
- Clean up Data Requirements & Data Warnings
- Troubleshooting 201: User missing from an application
Signing up for a Clever account is the first step towards providing your district with an easy and FERPA-compliant way to sync rosters and provide single sign-on into the best educational applications in the world.
To sign up, visit https://clever.com/signup and find your district name (or school name for charter or private schools not associated with a larger district).
What do I do if my district/school isn't listed on the signup page? Type your school/district name into the District field. A dropdown will appear with existing schools/districts, and you can scroll to the bottom to select 'Add’ if your district does not yet appear in that dropdown list:
Once you’ve completed the signup form, you’ll receive an email from our District Partnerships team. Someone from that team should be in touch within 3 business hours with more information on getting started.
For now, we suggest you continue reading and familiarize yourself with our self-service setup guide!
Think of Clever Secure Sync as a bridge between your student information system (SIS) and online learning programs. Clever Secure Sync maintains up-to-date roster information in your learning applications by securely transferring your roster uploads or connecting directly with your SIS. Clever is engineered to be the most secure and convenient way for districts to send vendors data and grant access to learning programs. The Secure Sync process can be summarized in four steps:
- First, your district’s data syncs to Clever through an Auto Sync or SFTP sync.
- Once the data is in your Clever account, you set up sharing permissions with each connected application where you determine which data to share with that application.
- Applications then retrieve that data from your Clever account, typically on a nightly basis.
- Through this process of applications retrieving data from Clever, user accounts are automatically created in connected applications. From that point on, applications regularly update any changes to your enrollment information as indicated in your Clever account.
Continue reading below to learn about Clever’s different sync types. With all Clever sync types, the school district has complete control over data access and management of the Clever account.
Clever offers two different sync types: Auto Syncs and SFTP Syncs. Auto Syncs are typically easier to setup but offer less flexibility (and are only available for certain SISs), while SFTP syncs typically require more upfront setup work but are completely customizable to each district’s needs.
The section below outlines these two sync types, and this “Which sync option should I choose” article has more details if you’re still unsure which option to choose.
Auto Syncs “pull” data by connecting directly with your SIS. This requires minimal setup and IT support from your district because Clever syncs directly with your SIS to securely transfer student roster data.
Clever-managed auto-syncs are supported for the following SISs (click for specific setup instructions):
SIS-managed auto-syncs are similarly automated, but are managed by teams at the SIS. SIS-managed auto-syncs are supported for the following SISs (contact your representative at your respective SIS for setup instructions):
- Aspen (x2)
- Edupoint Synergy
- eSchoolPLUS (non-Arkansas) by Sungard K12
- Focus SIS
- iNOW by Chalkable (formerly STI)
- Jupiter iO
- Lumen AXSIS
- OnCourse Systems for Education
- Realtime Inc.
- SAM Spectra
- School Time
- Sycamore School
- Tyler Schoolmaster
- Tyler v9
- Tyler v10
Our SFTP Sync works for any SIS, including those supported by our other sync types. The SFTP Sync allows districts to “push” data to Clever. Districts generate multiple files in a Clever-specific CSV format and submit them to Clever using Secure File Transfer Protocol (SFTP). Because districts control exactly what data to include in their upload files, this option provides districts a greater level of customization but requires more robust setup and management. For specific instructions, see our SFTP Sync Overview.
When your first sync has successfully completed, you’ll receive a Sync Report email and see “Sync Successful” in your Clever Dashboard:
If your sync status instead says “pending,” “On Hold,” “Error,” or “Paused,” this “What Does My Sync Status Mean” article will help!
The initial sync often requires the bulk of the Clever setup, so don’t be discouraged if you’re running into roadblocks - our team is happy to help!
Once you’ve successfully synced your first batch of data to Clever, we’d like to introduce you to your best friend for troubleshooting syncing questions: your Clever Data Browser
Your Clever Data Browser allows you to view all of the data that’s syncing from your SIS into Clever, and is especially useful when you’re concerned that student data isn’t properly syncing.
For example, I’m hearing reports that a 7th grade student, Ethan Martin, is appearing in the wrong grade level in a connected app. I can use the Data Browser to check the grade level that’s being transferred from my SIS to Clever for Ethan.
Example search under Students for “name.first = Ethan”:
Detailed view of Ethan’s record:
I see here that Ethan’s record being sent from my SIS to Clever shows Grade 8. I can use this knowledge to isolate that the correction needs to be made in my SIS, as the export from my SIS has him in grade 8.
This is just one example of how the Clever Data Browser can help in identifying if there’s trouble in your SIS-Clever sync. Now - go browse some data to get yourself familiar with the tool!
Now that your data is in Clever and you’re familiar with how to explore the data, it’s time to add all of the Clever-supported applications used in your district! Adding new applications is a quick process in Clever.
1. Log into your Clever Dashboard and click "Application" on the sidebar and then ‘Add Applications’ icon.
2. Search for applications by category or search for a specific application using the search bar under 'choose your apps'. After clicking on an application's icon, it will appear under 'selected apps' on the right side of the screen. You can add multiple applications at once.
What’s the difference between Sync, SSO, and Free Applications?Applications labeled with "Sync" means they support Secure Sync Rostering. Applications labeled with "SSO" mean they support Clever Instant Login single sign-on. Applications labeled as "free" mean just that - they're free applications you can add to your Dashboard right away! Click here to learn more about the different types of applications.
What if I want to adjust my launch date?
No problem! Launch dates are managed by our application partners. Reach out to the application directly to discuss adjusting your dates!
What if my desired application isn’t listed?
Let us know so we can get the ball rolling! Submit the request via request.clever.com, or click ‘Request Another Application’ on the upper right hand corner. We encourage you to also reach out to the application directly, to tell them you’re interested in syncing your data through Clever. Your voice is extremely important as they consider working with us!
Now that you’ve uploaded data from your SIS to Clever and added all of the applications used in your district, it’s time to build the bridge between Clever and your connected apps by sharing data. Clever is dedicated to making sure every district has ownership over their own data, and you have complete flexibility as to which records you do and do not want to share with each individual application.
When you’ve added an app but have yet to share data, you should see a prompt to share data in the “Next Steps” section of your dashboard.
You can choose to share data in one of a few different different ways. Note that these different sharing types are mutually exclusive; you CANNOT choose two:
- Share by Rules: Clever will only share data tied to users or sections that meet criteria that you set. This will update dynamically with each sync. For more information on sharing by rules, please see this help article.
- Share by Section: Clever will only share data tied to the specific sections that you select. This will not update dynamically. For more assistance on sharing by section.
- Share by School: Clever will only share data linked to the schools that you select. This will update dynamically with each sync.
- Share by District: Clever will share all data synced to Clever. This will update dynamically with each sync.
Once you’ve selected your permissions level and set up the parameters that make sense for your users and licensing agreements with each app, clicked 'Save Changes.' This shared data will now be accessible to the application. Make sure to check out these two videos on how to set your sharing permissions:
Clever requires that every district includes certain imperative data in their sync (ie. Student ID’s, School Name’s, etc.), but applications occasionally rely on more data than what we require as a minimum within Clever. In order to identify whether your sync is missing data that may affect the functionality of your connected applications, each app has set up their own Data Requirements and Data Warnings.
- Data Requirements indicate that data needs to be cleaned up in order for user data to appear properly in the application. These MUST be cleaned up in order for the app to properly sync your district data.
- Data Warnings indicate that some users and sections may be incorrectly shared with an application, or may have a degraded experience in that application. Ideally, data warnings should be cleaned up, but they shouldn’t halt your entire district’s use of the app.
To view your data requirements/warnings, navigate to the 'Data Warnings' option on the left hand menu bar of your dashboard. From here, you’ll see an overview of the various requirements/warnings set by each of the apps you’ve shared data with.
Types of Data Requirements/Warnings
The two most common types of data requirements/warnings are missing information or non-unique information:
- Missing Information: Your connected application requires specific fields to be populated in Clever. Issues related to missing information show the number of records without data in those fields. To resolve these issues, you must update their data to include the missing values.
- Non-unique Information: Issues related to non-unique information will be listed in Data Warnings for the fields below. The issue will include every record that shares each non-unique field value. To resolve these issues, districts will need to update their data to provide a unique value for each record.
Resolving Data Warnings/Requirements
To download details about your data warnings or requirements click on the 'Export to CSV' hyperlink next to the number of affected records.To resolve data warnings or requirements, you will usually need to make changes directly in your Student Information System.
If you’re missing a data point for ALL students and teachers, it’s likely that we are not yet receiving that data point from your SIS. You’ll either need to add that data to your SFTP upload (SFTP Syncs), Request your SIS add the field (SIS-managed) or Request that our support team Customize your Sync to pull that data from your SIS (Clever-managed Auto-syncs).
Make sure to check out this instructional video on Data Warnings and Requirements!
Application’s retrieve data from Clever’s API, typically on a nightly basis. If you are missing data in one of your applications or seeing an issue in your learning application, we recommend logging into your Clever dashboard to confirm the following:
- Is the data reflected in Clever? Use the Data Browser tool in the Dashboard to confirm the changes are syncing to Clever correct. If they aren’t syncing to Clever, reach out to our team and we’d be happy to investigate!
- Is the application launched? Applications will not retrieve data from Clever until you’ve set up sharing permissions and reached the Launch Date. If the application’s status says ‘Launched’ or ‘Active’ your connection is live!
- Is the data shared with the application? Review the application’s sharing permissions by clicking on the app and going to its Data Sharing tab. You can also download files of which schools, teachers, students, and sections are shared on the Overview page to check for the missing record.
- Is the record receiving a data warning? Check the application’s data warnings under its Data Validation tab. If the missing record is in the data warning, it’s likely that resolving the data warning will enable the record to show up in the application.
If you’ve confirmed that the data is syncing to Clever and has been shared with the app for more than 24 hours but you’re still not seeing the data in your application, it's best to reach out to your contact at the application and let them know you’re missing information in the app.
We have great relationships with our application partners, so they may loop in Clever Support to help research the issue. Please feel free to copy Clever Support on your message to confirm that your settings are correct.