This article covers the following:
- Uploading files via Web Upload tool
- Uploading files via FTP Client
- Where can I find my SFTP credentials?
- What are Clever’s SFTP host keys?
Uploading files via Web Upload tool
You can find the Web Upload tool on your Sync Settings page in the Clever Dashboard. You'll then want to navigate to the Upload tab where you can drag and drop each file or click the cloud to browse and attach each CSV file (Note: If this is not your first sync, you do not need to upload the entire set of files).
Click ‘Uploads’ and wait until the top of the page displays “Your files have been uploaded” before leaving the page.
Uploading files via FTP client
Another option for sending files to Clever is using the Secure File Transfer Protocol, also known as SSH File Transfer Protocol. The following outlines the process for manually uploading files through an FTP client. Many districts write a script to upload files via SFTP automatically. At this time Clever does not provide support for setting up these automations.
There are many FTP clients available. When you choose an FTP client, confirm that it will support SFTP -- not all clients will. SFTP is not the same as FTP over SSH, FTP over SSL, FTPS or Simple File Transfer Protocol.
- Download and install an FTP client program that supports SFTP
- Log into your Clever dashboard and locate your SFTP credentials under Sync Settings in the Dashboard (see below for more information)
- Open the FTP client program and enter your SFTP credentials ("host" is the SFTP Upload URL") and click 'Quickconnect'; Note: some clients will require a modified URL configuration such as simply sftp.clever.com, please reference their help documentation.
- Once the link between your 'Local Site' and 'Remote Site' is established, you should see the files already stored in the host site appear on the right side of the window.
- Browse the 'Local Site' (your computer's hard drive, on the left side of the window) until you find all five of the csv files you would like to upload. Drag them from the 'Local Site' to the 'Remote Site' into the folder with your district's username. (Please note: our system will only process files that adhere to our naming protocol– schools.csv, teachers.csv, students.csv, enrollments.csv, sections.csv)
- If prompted, allow the program to overwrite preexisting data in the host site with the incoming data. (You should only have 5 files in your 'Remote Site' at one time).
- Clever will begin processing your files five minutes after you finish making changes to the content your SFTP box.
Where can I find my SFTP credentials?
You can find these credentials in your Clever dashboard under Sync Settings. Please note that we will never send or request your SFTP password over email or on the phone.
Please follow the instructions below to retrieve your SFTP username and password:
- Log into your Clever account at http://schools.clever.com. You'll need to use the email and password that you created when you signed up for your Clever account.
- Navigate to the Sync Settings page from the left sidebar,
- You'll see the SFTP username and password. Note: you will need to hover over the dots to reveal your password. We suggest copy/pasting the password into your FTP client to prevent any typos.
You cannot change your SFTP username or password. Should you have any issues uploading files via SFTP, please review our SFTP Sync Troubleshooting section.
What are Clever’s SFTP host keys?
Every time your district's SFTP client connects to Clever, it will check our SFTP server's Host Key to ensure your data is being safely transmitted to the correct server.
Each SFTP client handles Host Keys slightly differently. The following is documentation on several leading SFTP clients:
The following are Clever's Public SFTP Host Keys:
|1|2JTJAY17moTn4gIUyBLtYzhGjVQ=|g6AJPvQiCXDxHzLkqB/gJQzfGkQ= ecdsa-sha2-nistp256 AAAAE2VjZHNhLXNoYTItbmlzdHAyNTYAAAAIbmlzdHAyNTYAAABBBPr8wQCP3VKLB0K/8wKI2oK+ICS+VRLRk8k0CC0nwXXAHHMVCOGZyVVJT6mM/zmpygV3z6Dfn45vuCB7ohjVnU8=
|1|Cmwc8pyP2jol9g2ycotT+9HqX9U=|idyXWAmWX4Hf7i0F0FclE067Hu8= ecdsa-sha2-nistp256 AAAAE2VjZHNhLXNoYTItbmlzdHAyNTYAAAAIbmlzdHAyNTYAAABBBPr8wQCP3VKLB0K/8wKI2oK+ICS+VRLRk8k0CC0nwXXAHHMVCOGZyVVJT6mM/zmpygV3z6Dfn45vuCB7ohjVnU8=
The following are Clever's Public Key Fingerprints:
256 76:0c:bb:e5:f7:df:97:c3:f2:77:0d:9a:2e:d7:92:18 (ECDSA)
2048 f3:62:21:31:be:64:d0:a6:7d:60:73:d6:de:f9:bd:39 (RSA)