Clever single sign-on (SSO) enables users to be securely authenticated into connected applications via their individual Clever portals. This article explains how district admins can add or remove an online learning application to their district's Clever Portal in order to share the app with district users. To learn about the different types of Clever applications, please visit this article.
Adding an application
- Navigate to your Clever district dashboard > Applications > Request Applications page.
- Using the filters at the top of the page, you can search for applications by:
- Type (e.g. Rostering, SSO, Free)
- Please note: Some learning applications do require certain fees to use their products through Clever (e.g. licensing or subscription fees). Sorting by 'Free' provides a list of learning applications that are completely free to districts.
- Subject (e.g. Assessment, Communication, Math, Reading)
- Name (e.g. i-Ready, SeeSaw, Big Ideas Math, Achieve3000)
- Type (e.g. Rostering, SSO, Free)
- Once you locate the desired application, select 'Request App' to the right of the selection.
- You will then be prompted to authorize the request of the application. You will need to first:
- Select whether or not your district has already purchased the application, or would like to try a free trial of the app (if applicable).
- Select a preferred Launch Date for the application. Please note:
- The Custom Launch Date you enter is a suggested or preferred date of launch that may later be updated by the application partner if it is not feasible. Please contact app partners directly to adjust app Launch Dates.
- The Launch Date is the date the app will become available to all shared district users in their Clever portals.
- Once you've made the appropriate selections, select 'Request application' to submit the request to the application provider.
- The application has now been requested! Please see this article to understand the application's status as it progresses to the Launch Date.
Application sharing permissions
Once the application has approved your connection, you will follow the steps outlined in this guide to set up your sharing permissions for the first time.
At any time after the application has been connected, district admins can add or modify the app sharing permissions to determine what district data should be shared with the app, and which district users should have access to the application from their Clever portals after the Launch Date. The options available are:
- Share by District: All district data in Clever will be synced to the application. This includes district admins, schools, teachers, students, staff and sections.
- Share by Schools: Clever will only share any data associated with the schools you've selected (e.g. students, teachers, sections, staff).
- Share by Rules: Clever will only share data that meets the specific criteria you've set. This is the most recommended sharing type as it provides districts with the flexibility in determining specifically what data should be included, or excluded, in the sharing. Read this article to learn more about how to Share by Rules!
- School Site Sharing: If your district has designated School Tech Leads in Clever, you can provide them with the ability to configure application sharing permissions for their associated schools. More info here!
Applications will not have access to any district data in Clever that has not been specifically shared with them via the application sharing permissions. Please visit this article for detailed instructions.
What if my desired application isn’t listed?
If your desired application is not available to request per the process outlined above:
- SSO or Rostering integrated apps:
- This means the app provider has a specific policy that requires them to send districts an invite rather than districts requesting their app (e.g. BrainPOP). Please contact the app partner directly to request their app.
- Clever Library apps:
- Most Library apps can only be added individually by teachers to their Clever portals. In most cases, these types of apps are not available as district-wide applications. For details, please visit this article.
- Non-Clever integrated apps:
- Clever can build a secure connection for almost any application through our SSO (Saved Passwords) product. SSO (Saved Passwords) applications are apps that don't currently integrate directly with Clever, but can still be accessed through the Clever Portal providing users with a seamless single sign-on experience for the app.
- To add an SSO (Saved Passwords) application, select the 'Request [ApplicationName]' below the search results.
- You will then be prompted to enter some important details to help us configure this SSO (Saved Passwords) application before selecting the 'Request' option. You will receive an email once the app is ready for your district. This process typically takes 2-3 days. For more, please visit: SSO (Saved Passwords) Apps: Overview & Setup
We also encourage you to reach out to non-Clever integrated application providers directly to let them know you’re interested in syncing your data through Clever. Your voice is extremely important as they consider working with us! If you don't have a contact at the vendor, feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we can provide you with the appropriate contact information.
What's my application's status?
Here is a list including every application status:
- Requested: We are currently waiting on the application's team to accept your request and proceed with the implementation. If you need to expedite the request process, please reach out to the application provider directly as Clever does not have insight into their review and acceptance process.
- Waiting On Approval: We are still waiting for the application's team to accept your request and proceed with the implementation. District admins can select the 'Remind App' option to the right of the application name from the Clever Home page to remind the application partner of the request.
- No Data Shared: The next step is yours! Complete the setup guide to enable data sharing with the application.
- No Credentials Set: The next step is yours! For SSO (Saved Passwords) apps, you will need to set up your district users' login credential requirements for the application. Please see this article for details.
- Setting Up: Hang tight! The application partner is preparing your district for launch. Users will not be able to access the application until the Launch Date. If you need to expedite the setup process, please reach out to the application partner directly.
- Launched: Your integration is live! If the application supports SSO, the application is available to users in the Clever Portal.
Removing an application
If you would like to remove an application from your district's Clever Portal:
- Navigate to your Clever district dashboard > Home page.
- Click on the application name to open the app overview page.
- Select the arrow icon on the upper right-hand corner of the page.
- Choose ‘Disconnect App’.
- A dialogue box will open asking you to select ‘OK’ to confirm the deletion.
The application icon will no longer be available in Clever for your district, and your data will be unavailable to the application immediately. If it was a Clever-integrated app, an email notification will be sent to Clever’s main contact from the application's team informing them that you are no longer sharing your data with them.
Please note that if you decide to re-add this application to your Clever district dashboard at a later time, your user accounts will likely not be restored automatically. An additional setup will likely be required to match users to their historical data.
If you have any questions, please reach out to Clever support! We are happy to help!