What are application sharing permissions?
Once an application has been added to a district's Clever Portal, district admins configure sharing permissions in order to determine what data should be shared with the app, and which district users should be able to access the application from their individual Clever portals.
What kind of data is shared?
Clever provides each application with only the data necessary for its operation. District admins can view and modify what data is being shared by navigating to their district dashboard > Home page, and then clicking on the application's name to open the app overview page.
How do I share data with an application?
Clever acts as a repository that stores the data from a district's student information system (SIS), which is then shared to each application. A district might share different data with each unique application depending on the type of application it is, licensing contingencies, and so on. In Clever, this is done by setting up sharing permissions.
Here’s how to set your data sharing permissions for an application:
- From your Clever district dashboard > Home page, click on an application name to be directed to the application’s overview page.
- Select 'Edit sharing' under the 'Shared Data' box.
- From the data sharing page, you’ll specify which sharing type you would like to use in order to share data with the application. These settings will also determine which of your district users will have the application available to them in their individual portals.
- You have four options for how to share data (the different types of sharing are mutually exclusive, you cannot choose two):
- Share by District: All district data in Clever will be synced to the application. This includes district admins, schools, teachers, students, staff and sections.
- Share by Schools: Clever will only share any data associated to the schools you've selected (e.g. students, teachers, sections, staff).
- Share by Rules: Clever will only share data that meets the specific criteria you've set. This is the most recommended sharing type as it provides districts with the flexibility in determining specifically what data should be included, or excluded, in the sharing. Read this article to learn more about how to Share by Rules!
- School Site Sharing: If your district has designated School Tech Leads in Clever, you can provide them with the ability to configure application sharing rules for their associated schools. This allows School Tech Leads to manage the application data sharing permissions for their schools, rather than district admins setting application sharing permissions on a district-wide basis. More info here!
Please note: The data in Clever-integrated applications will be dynamically updated each time the app syncs to Clever. This typically happens every 24 hours. For more on app syncs, please visit: How often will my applications sync with Clever?
- Once you’ve selected your sharing type and configured your sharing permissions, select 'Save Changes'. You should see your shared data reflected in the application within 24 hours.
How do I view the data currently being shared with the application?
Once you've configured your sharing permissions for an application, you have the option to download CSV files containing the schools, students, teachers, staff and sections that are being shared with the application through Clever. By default, district admins are always shared with applications!
- Shared Data: This box provides a summary of the data being shared based on the application sharing permissions you have set.
- Filters: Some application partners implement filters on their end to filter the data being shared with them. If any filters are set for your district, they will show in the 'Filters' box in the middle of the app overview page. For more information, please visit: What are app filters?
- Application Receives: Click the blue download arrow icon to the right of the data type (schools, students, teachers, staff or sections) to download a more detailed list of the data being shared. The numbers in this box are a combination of the data your district has shared along with the filters the app partner has put in place.
- For example: Shared Data - Data filtered out by app filters = Application Receives
Please note: The CSV downloads do not include all of the data being synced to the application. These files only provide a few basic details about which records are being synced, even though the application might be receiving more details about each record.
- For example: The students.csv does not include the student email address, but the application partner might be receiving student email addresses. For details on which data is synced to applications for each record, visit: What data is available to my connected applications?
How do I edit my current sharing permissions?
If you have any questions about setting up your sharing permissions, or what data is being shared with your district applications, please reach out to Clever support! We are happy to help!