How does single sign-on (SSO) work?
Single sign-on (SSO) is the easiest way to log into applications. Students, teachers, and/or administrators will no longer have to manage and remember multiple usernames and passwords!
Many districts already have a username and password that students already use to access technology at their school site (ex. Google, ADFS, or another login method).
Single sign-on (SSO) allows you to use that same system to authenticate users for learning applications, rather than creating new credentials each time.
Here’s how the login flow works:
- Users access a Clever URL and click the “Log in with <your login method>” button
- They’re redirected to the selected login page
- Users will enter their credentials
- Upon logging in, your login method sends Clever a piece of data that identifies the user that is logging in
- Using that data, we allow that user to access any of their Clever learning applications!
Who can use single sign-on (SSO)?
The following users can access applications through Clever single sign-on (SSO):
- School Admins
- Clever District Admins
What is the Clever Portal?
As part of single sign-on (SSO), we offer a free Clever Portal through which students and teachers can access their learning programs in 3 easy steps:
- Navigate to your district’s unique Portal URL
- Type in their district username and password, or use a Clever Badge
- Access all of their single sign-on (SSO) apps their school or district has connected to Clever!
For more information on using the Clever Portal, please see: Managing your Clever Portal.
What do I need in order to set up single sign-on (SSO)?
1. Secure Sync roster to Clever
In order for users to be able to log in, they must have records in Clever. For more information on syncing data to Clever, please see What is Secure Sync?
2. Portal URL
Each districts receives a unique Clever URL for your district’s Clever Portal. Tt follows the format
https://clever.com/in/<YOUR CUSTOM SHORTNAME>
You can customize your URL at any time.
3. Configure your login method (Identity Provider)
View this Help Center article to ensure that your login method is set up and ready for your users: How do I set up single sign-on (SSO)? (see: Identity System)
4. Support Contact
For security reasons, Clever will not provide login information to users through any of our communications channels if they reach out to us - and, for most of the login methods available, we have no access to those credentials at all!
For this reason, we require that you provide a support contact who will be able to help users log in. You can add and edit this contact on your single sign-on (SSO) Settings page.
Other uses for single sign-on (SSO)
With your existing portal
Single sign-on (SSO) is designed to work with your existing portal. You can allow users to authenticate to applications without using the Clever portal by embedding single sign-on (SSO) links in your portal, learning management system, or application launch page.
Using 'Log in with Clever' buttons
Some applications have added ‘Log in with Clever’ buttons to their login pages and mobile apps. This button allows your users to log into the application with their universal credentials!