Syncing subjects accurately is essential to getting the most out of Clever. Many learning applications require sections to have subjects, and assigning subjects correctly will also make it easier to share data by sections. This article outlines how Clever determines ‘subject’ for each section and how to sync ‘subject’ with Clever to ensure accuracy.
How does Clever determine ‘subject’?
If your data sync includes a ‘subject’ field, Clever categorizes sections into subject categories based on the values you provide. For example, ‘subject’ field values “English”, “Reading”, and “Writing” are all sorted into “english/language arts”. Everything that can’t be sorted (including blanks) will be assigned to the subject “other”.
All sections will be assigned one of the following subject values:
- arts and music
- english/language arts
- interventions/online learning
- PE and health
- social studies
- technology and engineering
If Clever can't determine the subject based off the values given in the 'subject' field, then our system looks to values in the section_name field, and lastly, to values in the course_name field.
What if my sync doesn’t include a ‘subject’ field?
If you aren’t syncing a ‘subject’ field, Clever categorizes sections into the subject categories above based on what terms are included in the ‘section_name’ field. For example, sections with section_name values of “Algebra II Honors 3A”, “5th Grade Mathematics”, and “P4 - Calc - Johnson” are all assigned the subject “math”.
If Clever can’t determine the subject based on ‘section_name’, Clever will look at the ‘course_name’ field for terms that indicate subject.
Any section whose subject cannot be determined will be assigned the subject “other”.
How can I ensure Clever chooses the correct subject?
There are two ways to make sure Clever chooses the right subject for each section:
1. Add ‘subject’ field to your sync
Syncing a ‘subject’ field to Clever with values that exactly match the subject categories listed above is the best way to make sure subjects are accurate in Clever. As long as you provide one of the Clever’s accepted subject values, Clever will use the exact value you provide.
If you’re syncing data with Clever via Auto Sync, you’ll want to determine which field is used to sync subjects to Clever, then populate that field with the above subject values.
- If you’re using a Clever-Managed Auto Sync, contact Clever Support to determine which SIS field is used for subject. You can also tell us if you’d prefer to pull a different subject field from your SIS.
- For SIS-Managed Auto Syncs, please reach out directly to your SIS to determine which fields can be used to send subject values to Clever.
For SFTP Syncs, add a column with header “Subject” and include a value for each section that exactly matches one of the subject categories listed above.
2. Change the value of ‘section_name’ or ‘course_name’
If you’re not able to sync a ‘subject’ field to Clever, we will make our best guess based on the terms included in the ‘section_name’ and ‘course_name’ fields. To improve accuracy, try some of these tips:
- Include one of Clever’s subject values in your section or course names.
- Use full terms whenever possible. For example, “comp” is interpreted as “composition” (subject: “english/language arts”), not “computers” (subject: “technology and engineering”).
- Creative names can sometimes be miscategorized, so opt for simple and commonly used terms. For example, “astronomy” gets matched to “science”, whereas “rocket ships” would be matched to “other”.
Clever makes its best educated guess to sort each section into the above subjects. If you see a large number of sections assigned the wrong subject value, please request help from our Support Team.