The secure file transfer protocol (SFTP) sync allows school districts to “push” data to Clever. Districts generate five required CSV files (schools.csv, teachers.csv, students.csv, sections.csv and enrollments.csv) from their student information system (SIS) according to Clever's specified file format. These files include fields required by learning applications for each of the required five data types. The district then securely transfers these files to Clever.
1. Review SFTP instructions
- Review Clever’s SFTP Instructions to learn how to format your CSV files and to identify which fields are required by Clever and your learning applications.
- If you’ve already signed up for a Clever account, download these instructions from the Sync Settings page in your Clever district dashboard. These instructions will be specific to your district and include fields required by your connected applications.
- Not yet signed up? Take a look at our general SFTP instructions here. If you have questions about the instructions, please request help before proceeding.
2. Export data
- Export your data from your student information system (SIS). Be sure to export all required fields.
- Data can be exported directly from your SIS or through an SQL query.
- If you’re unable to produce the required fields, please contact your SIS directly. Clever is unable to troubleshoot data exporting from SIS and SQL for SFTP Syncs.
- We also recommend automating the process of exporting data from your SIS and uploading it to Clever.
3. Format files
- Format the five required CSV files (schools.csv, teachers.csv, students.csv, sections.csv and enrollments.csv) according to Clever’s specified file format.
- If you run into any issues, see File Format Troubleshooting for help!
4. Upload data
- Securely transfer the data to Clever using one of these two options:
- District admins can upload files manually via the Clever district dashboard > Sync > Upload page. Need help using the Web Upload tool? See this article.
- Or, district admins can upload district data directly to the district's Clever SFTP folder using an FTP client (e.g. Transmit, FileZilla, or WinSCP). Click here for instructions on uploading data using an FTP client. You’ll need your SFTP credentials from your district dashboard > Sync Settings page. This SFTP option also allows districts to write a script that automates the upload process.
5. Update your data
- To update the data in Clever when student, teacher, or roster information changes, repeat the steps above.
- Be sure to include all five files in your upload, and include ALL records for each file type. Your files should always contain all data. Clever will handle necessary additions, deletions, and updates.
- You can always check your sync status on your Clever district dashboard Home page - here are some common error messages.