In addition to other Clever-supported Identity Providers (IDPs) like Google and Active Directory, districts can also choose to utilize Clever Passwords for Clever single sign-on (SSO). With Clever Passwords, district admins determine what login credentials should be used for students, teachers and staff, and then configure them from the district dashboard > Portal > SSO Settings page.
When district users navigate to your district's Clever login page, they will enter their username and password. In cases where a district uses multiple IDPs, users will select 'Log in with Clever' to enter their credentials.
Occasionally, users will have issues logging in, and troubleshooting is required by a district admin. This article details the recommended steps for troubleshooting and resolving Clever Passwords user log in issues.
Reviewing your district Login Logs
The best place to start when troubleshooting an error logging in to Clever are your Login Logs (Support Tools > Login Logs) This tool provides you with the information you need to find out why a user's login was unsuccessful.
Login logs provide data for the past 14 days of login events to Clever. You can filter by login success, user type, and search by Clever ID or Reference ID. Reference IDs are provided if the login to the IdP was successful but the user was not authenticated into Clever.
If you prefer, you can export the data as a CSV for local use.
Successful login attempts will show by the user's unique identifier along with the login method that was used.
Unsuccessful login attempts will show by user's unique identifier.
Troubleshooting login errors
It is important to recognize where the error is occurring in order to troubleshoot effectively! For example, getting an invalid username or password error message for a Clever Passwords login may actually require updating the user's record in the student information system (SIS).
Most Clever login errors come with a reference code that you can use to filter user login data in the Login Logs.
Simply copy the reference code and paste it under Search for User or Reference ID to locate that specific error.
Select view details see additional information
Resetting User Passwords
It is important to note that, after the initial setup of Clever Passwords for your district, user passwords will not be dynamically updated as new or updated data is synced to Clever from your SIS.
- For example: If your district has set up student passwords to be their birthdates, and then you update a student's birthdate in your SIS, their password will not automatically be updated in Clever to reflect the new birthdate.
To resolve this, it is sometimes necessary to manually update a student or teacher's password in Clever, or run a password reset for all students, teachers or staff.
Depending on your current SSO Settings for each user type, the password reset option might be available for some users to reset their own passwords, or for teachers to reset student passwords. Users who reset their own passwords must have an email address in Clever for the password reset to work.
Students, teachers and staff resetting their own passwords
- From the district's login page, they will select the ‘Get help logging in!’ option.
- Then, they'll select 'Reset your password' to have a password reset link sent to their email address in Clever.
District Admins Resetting Passwords
To reset individual user passwords:
- View the username and reset the password for any student or teacher in your district by following these steps:
- Navigate to your Support Tools > Data Browser to locate the user.
- Click on the user's name to view their details card.
- From there, you can view their username or reset their password. The user will then be able to use the updated password the next time they log in to Clever.
To reset all credentials back to the default setting by user type (student, teacher or staff):
- Navigate to your Portal > SSO Settings page.
- Select the 'Edit settings' option for Clever Passwords.
- Check the box for 'Reset all student usernames and passwords now.' if you would like to reset all student passwords back to the default. Leave the box unchecked if you do not want student passwords updated.
- Select 'Next'.
- You can also choose to reset teacher and staff credentials in steps 2 and 3 if desired.
- Select 'Next' until you get to the option to 'Save'.
- It will take about 15 minutes to complete, and then your users should be able to log in with their default credentials.
If you have any questions about setting up Clever Passwords, please reach out to Clever support! We are happy to help!