This article contains the following:
- How does a student log in with a backup code?
- Why is my student receiving a login error?
- How does a student log in with a Clever Badge?
- How do I reset a student's password?
First, please ensure the student is using a Clever-compatible device. The Clever app is compatible with Chromebooks or iOS devices (e.g. iPads, iPhones), and can be downloaded from the App Store. If they are not using a compatible device, they can navigate to any one of the acceptable browsers (Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Edge or Internet Explorer > 2013 or later).
If your student is using a compatible device or browser, and is receiving an error when attempting to log in to Clever, please ensure they are listed in your Teacher's Page student list. This is to confirm the student has a record in Clever. Once confirmed, please ensure they are typing in the correct credentials to log in.
If you are unable to identify or resolve the student's issue, you can generate a temporary backup code that allows them to log in.
How does a student log in with a backup code?
Backup codes are temporary codes that allow students to log in to Clever when their login credentials are not working. These codes can be generated multiple times per day by various teachers, ensuring the student can log in continually until the primary login issue is resolved. Backup codes expire after 20 minutes, so the student does need to log in before the expiration time, or another backup code will need to be generated.
The root login issue will ultimately need to be investigated and resolved, but backup codes provide a temporary way for students to access their learning apps through Clever.
To generate a backup code:
- From your Clever Homeroom page, select 'Help A Student'.
- Locate the student who needs assistance from the dropdown menu.
- A seven-digit backup code will be provided. Write this code down and pass it along securely to your student. The code will expire in 20 minutes.
How does a student log in using a Backup Code?
- The student will go to your district's Clever Portal login page, and select the 'Get help logging in!' option.
- They will then select 'Students: Log in with a Backup Code'.
- They will enter the backup code, and select 'Log in'.
Why is my student receiving a login error?
Login errors can occur for several reasons. The most common issues are:
- The student inputs the incorrect login credentials
- The student does not have an account in Clever
- There is an issue with the district's login setup
If your district's login method is Google, Active Directory, Office 365, Canvas or LDAP, it may be necessary to contact your district's tech support contact directly to address student login issues. In the short term, you can log your student in using a Clever backup code.
If your student receives a login error and your district's login method is Clever Passwords (i.e. 'Log in with Clever'), please ensure the student is using the correct credentials. If you have confirmed they are using the correct credentials but the login is still unsuccessful, you may be able to reset their password if your district has enabled teachers to do so.
If you do not have the ability to reset the student's password, please have them log in to Clever using a backup code, and contact your district's tech support contact directly for assistance with the login issue.
How does a student log in with a Clever Badge?
Badges allow students to hold up a physical badge to their device's webcam to get logged in, instead of typing in login credentials. Teachers get more time to teach, and students get more time to learn! Please note, in order to use Clever Badges for students, they must first be enabled by your school district.
For information and instructions, please visit:
How do I reset a student's password?
If your district's students are using the 'Log in with Clever' option shown below, you may be able to reset your student’s password by doing the following:
1. Log in to Clever, and navigate to the Teacher Page you have shared with the student who needs help.
2. From the student list on the left, select the student's name and select 'Reset student password'.
3. A window will pop up allowing you to reset the student's Clever password.