What is the school admin role in Clever?
School admins do not have access to the Clever Dashboard. School admins are created in Clever so that they can use Instant Login to access learning applications and have those applications recognize them as ‘school administrator’ users. School admins can see all of the students and sections at their school sites. School admins can be associated with multiple schools.
You can also assign school admins as School Tech Leads. These are individuals who will help manage Clever at a school level. See this article for more information about School Tech Leads!
How do I add school admins?
Account owners can upload school administrators on the Team page of the Clever Dashboard. Here's how:
- Log in to your Clever Dashboard
- Select ‘Sync’ from the left sidebar
- Navigate to the "Upload" tab
- Download the template for the admins.csv file
- Each school admin requires a unique ‘staff_id’. Giving multiple admins the same staff_id will cause prevent the school admin from a successful login.
- All admins should be in the file each time you upload the admins.csv with an update. If a user’s staff_id is no longer in the CSV file, that admin will be deleted.
- The `school_id` you specify should correlate to the unique identifier assigned to the school by your SIS. When you browse school data this is the 'sis_id' value, not the 'school_number' value assigned to the school.
- To assign an admin to multiple schools, add a row for each school. Here’s an example:
If your district manages your own CSV uploads, district admins can also upload school admins using the Web Upload tool. Click here to learn how. If you're using SFTP to sync data to Clever, you can also upload school admins via SFTP by including an optional admins.csv file. See the SFTP documentation for more details.
*If you're using ADFS or any other IDP that requires manual setup, please note that you should edit your claims rules to allow admins to access the Portal. Logging in with the Clever Password IDP is not currently supported.
How do I share school admins with an app?
School admins can be included in sharing rules based on their school, title, email, or Staff ID #. These are the steps to create a sharing rule for school admins:
1. Select Share by Rules from the application's Data Sharing tab.
2. Click the Custom share school administrators option.
3. Create a school administrators rule. You can select school admins based on their email, their school site, staff ID #, or title.
4. Click Done Editing. From there you can either Add Another Rule or Save Sharing Rules!
What if school admins are also teachers?
If individuals are both a teacher and a school admin in Clever, they can access both user accounts using the same set of credentials. Clever will prompt them to select which role they would like to log in with:
If your district uses Clever Passwords however, each user account will require a separate set of credentials. These credentials are set up in the Instant Login Settings of the Clever Dashboard.
Curious to learn more about the school admin experience in Clever? Check out this article or watch this quick video!