This article contains the following:
- How do I add non-teaching staff or school admins to Clever?
- Here's how to create the staff.csv file to be uploaded:
- How do I upload the staff.csv file?
- How do I assign staff to multiple schools, all schools, or the district office?
- How do I edit staff, or update their roles in Clever?
- How do I add/remove staff from Clever?
- Infinite Campus API or Skyward API syncs
How do I add non-teaching staff or school admins to Clever?
Non-instructional staff (i.e. non-teaching staff) can be manually uploaded from the district dashboard > Sync > Upload page by uploading a staff.csv file. This method is best for adding staff members in bulk if they are not being synced to Clever by the district's student information system (SIS).
Here's how to create the staff.csv file to be uploaded:
- Download the template for the staff.csv file from your district dashboard > Sync > Upload page.
- Create and format your staff.csv file.
Here are a few things to note when creating the staff.csv file:
- Each staff member requires a unique staff_id. Giving multiple staff the same staff_id will prevent these individuals from logging in to Clever successfully.
- The school_id should be an SIS-assigned unique ID associated with that particular school location. From your Data Browser, click on the name of the school location to find the sis_id in the school's details window. Please note, this is not the same as the 'school_number'.
- In the event that a staff member is not associated with a specific school, please use the school_id value 'DEFAULT_DISTRICT_OFFICE' to assign them to the Default District Office site that Clever auto-generates for every district. More on this below.
- Staff uploaded to Clever are given a default role of Portal Access which provides them only with access to SSO into any applications that have been shared with them. If you would like to provide them with greater permissions in Clever for their associated school(s), you can assign them the School Tech Lead role.
How do I upload the staff.csv file?
After you've created your file, save it to your desktop being sure to name it staff.csv. There are two methods for uploading the file:
- Log in to your Clever district dashboard
- Select ‘Sync’ from the menu to the left
- Navigate to the 'Upload' tab
- Select 'UPLOAD STAFF CSV'
- Select the staff.csv file saved to your desktop
If your district is currently syncing data to Clever via secure file transfer protocol (SFTP), you or your SIS provider (depending on who is managing your SFTP uploads) can upload the staff.csv directly to your district's Clever SFTP folder. See these helpful articles for additional details.
How do I assign staff to multiple schools, all schools, or the district office?
Simply add a row for the staff member for each of the different schools they are associated with, ensuring the school_id for each school is correct and unique. For example:
You can find the school_id in your Data Browser listed as sis_id when you select the desired school.
To connect a staff member to all schools in the district, enter school_id 'district'.
Default District Office (Auto-generated):
To associate a staff member with the Clever-generated Default District Office, enter the school_id 'DEFAULT_DISTRICT_OFFICE'.
How do I edit staff, or update their roles in Clever?
Most staff updates are done by district admins uploading an updated staff.csv file to Clever from their district dashboard > Sync > Upload page. This includes changes to name, email, title, and so on. However, if you wish to update the role of a staff member from Portal Access to School Tech Lead, please follow these steps:
1. Navigate to the user's profile via the search bar at the top of your Clever district dashboard.
2. From there, click on the drop down arrow to the right of their profile page and select 'Update Clever Role'.
3. A pop-up will appear allowing you to select 'School Tech Lead' under 'Role', and then 'Save'!
How do I add/remove staff from Clever?
All staff members should be listed in the staff.csv file every time you upload a new staff.csv file to Clever. If a user’s staff_id is no longer in the CSV file, that individual will be deleted.
Infinite Campus API or Skyward API syncs
Infinite Campus API
Staff and admins will be automatically synced to Clever if they are marked as 'administrator' in the OneRoster users.csv, and anything other than 'teacher' is checked in their district assignment:
Staff and admins will be automatically synced to Clever if their 'title' is either blank or contains one of the following words: