How do I add non-teaching staff or school admins to Clever?
The majority of Clever account owners and users will need to manually add staff members from their dashboard by uploading a staff.csv file. This method is best for adding staff members in bulk.
Here's how to create the staff.csv file to be uploaded:
- Download the template for the staff.csv file
- Create and format your staff.csv file
Here are a few things to note when creating the staff.csv file:
- Each staff member requires a unique staff_id. Giving multiple staff the same staff_id will prevent the individual from a successful login
- The school_id specified should be a unique id assigned to the school by your SIS. When you browse school data, this is the sis_id value. (Not the 'school_number' value assigned to the school).
In the event that a staff member is not associated with a specific school, please use the school_id value "DEFAULT_DISTRICT_OFFICE" to assign them to the Default District Office site that Clever auto-generates for every district. More on this below.
- Staff uploaded to Clever are given the default role of Portal Access. If you wish to upload a staff member as a School Tech Lead, see the directions here.
How can I upload the file?
After you've created your file, save your file as 'staff.csv' (previously 'admins.csv'), then upload the file into Clever. There are two methods to uploading the file:
Upload via the Web Upload Tool in your Clever Dashboard:
- Log in to your Clever Dashboard
- Select ‘Sync’ from the left sidebar
- Navigate to the "Upload" tab
- Select "Upload staff.csv" and choose file
If your district already syncs data to Clever through the SFTP Sync, you can upload staff members via SFTP by including the optional staff.csv file in your upload method. See the SFTP documentation for more details.
How do I assign staff and administration to multiple schools, all schools, or the district office?
Simply add a row for each school. Here’s an example below:
You can find the school_id in your Data Browser listed as sis_id when you select the desired school.
To connect a staff member to all schools in the district, enter school_id: district
Default District Office (Auto-generated):
To assign a staff member to the Clever-generated Default District Office, enter school_id: DEFAULT_DISTRICT_OFFICE
How do I edit staff or update their role in Clever?
Staff members must be edited by uploading an updated staff.csv to Clever. This includes changes to name, email, title, etc.
If you wish to transition the role of the staff member from Portal Access to School Tech Lead you will need to do the following:
1. Navigate to the user profile via the search bar at the top of the Clever page.
2. Once on the user's page, click on the drop down arrow on the top right of their page and select "Update Clever Role"
3. A popup will appear and you can select "School Tech Lead" under "Role" and click save!
How do I add/remove staff from Clever?
All staff members should be listed in the staff.csv file each time you upload a new staff.csv with any update. If a user’s staff_id is no longer in the CSV file, that individual will be deleted.
Infinite Campus API or Skyward API syncs
Infinite Campus API
Staff and administrators will be automatically synced to Clever if they are marked as "administrator" in the OneRoster users.csv and anything other than "teacher" is checked in their district assignment:
Staff and administrators will be automatically synced to Clever if their "title" is either blank or contains one of the following words: