What is the school admin role in Clever?
School admins do not have access to the Clever Dashboard. School admins are created in Clever so that they can use Instant Login to access learning applications and have those applications recognize them as ‘school administrator’ users.
You can also assign school admins as school tech leads, for individuals who will help manage Clever at a school level. Read below to learn more about the school tech lead role.
How do I add school admins?
Account owners can upload school administrators on the Team page of the Clever Dashboard. Here's how:
- Log in to your Clever Dashboard
- Select ‘Sync’ from the left sidebar
- Navigate to the "Upload" tab.
- Download the template for the admins.csv file.
- Each school admin requires a unique ‘staff_id’. Giving multiple admins the same staff_id will cause prevent the school admin from a successful login.
- All admins should be in the file each time you upload the admins.csv with an update. If a user’s staff_id is no longer in the CSV file, that admin will be deleted.
- The `school_id` you specify should correlate to the unique identifier assigned to the school by your SIS. When you browse school data this is the 'sis_id' value, not the 'school_number' value assigned to the school.
- To assign an admin to multiple schools, add another row to the file for the same administrator that is identical to all others except for the new school_id value. Here’s an example:
If your district manages your own CSV uploads, district admins can also upload school admins using the Web Upload tool. Click here to learn how. If you're using SFTP to sync data to Clever, you can also upload school admins via SFTP by including an optional admins.csv file. See the SFTP documentation for more details.
* If you're using ADFS or any other IDP that requires manual setup, please note that you should edit your claims rules to allow admins to access the Portal. Logging in with the Clever Password IDP is not currently supported.
How do I add a School Tech Lead?
School Tech Lead is a special user role that will have the ability to:
- View usage metrics for their district & school
- Modify sharing rules for an application for their school - This capability must be enabled on a per app basis by the district administrator. District Admin must select: "School Site Sharing" in sharing permissions for the application.
- Manage and print Clever badges for their school
- Manage and customize the Clever portal on a per school basis
This role cannot:
- Request or add new applications
- View troubleshooting logs
- View or edit any settings
- Browse SIS data synced with Clever
This role is useful for:
- Big districts, decentralized districts, and charter schools who can not micro-manage their schools locally
To make a user a School Tech Lead:
- Add the user as a school admin on the Team page of the Clever Dashboard.
- Under filters, select "Admin Type" and then choose "School." This will show you a list of all of your school admins. If you don't see any school admins in the table below, you'll first need to upload them.
- Select the pencil icon to edit a user to grant them the desired role, this will allow them to log into the dashboard
- The School Tech lead can now log into the dashboard to view usage metrics, manage Clever badges and modify sharing rules (if enabled by the district administrator)
How do I share school admins with an app?
School admins can be included in sharing rules based on their school, title, email, or Staff ID #. These are the steps to create a sharing rule for school admins:
1. Select Share by Rules from the application's Data Sharing tab.
2. Click the Custom share school administrators option.
3. Create a school administrators rule. You can select school admins based on their email, their school site, staff ID #, or title.
4. Click Done Editing. From there you can either Add Another Rule or Save Sharing Rules!
What if school admins are also teachers?
If individuals are both a teacher and a school admin in Clever, they can access both user accounts using the same set of credentials. Clever will prompt them to select which role they would like to log in with:
If your district uses Clever Passwords however, each user account will require a separate set of credentials. These credentials are set up in the Instant Login Settings of the Clever Dashboard.
Curious to learn more about the school admin experience in Clever? Check out this article or watch this quick video!