The Clever Portal now supports universal SSO via saved-password applications! When students log in to their Clever Portal, they’ll receive a seamless single-sign on experience for all of their applications, even those that don't yet roster with Clever or are specific to your district.
What are saved-password applications?
These are applications that don't currently integrate with Clever's Instant Login but can still be accessed through the Portal. Clever securely stores users' credentials for these applications through the setup outlined below.
What do I need to get started?
- User accounts must be manually created within the application in advance, and passwords need to be manually set by the district administrator or by the users themselves.
- Universal single-sign-on (SSO) feature must first be enabled for your district in your Dashboard Portal settings by clicking the "Enable SSO for all applications" checkbox. You can also enable it on the Add Application page, where you'll be prompted with a popup window.
- Users must use the Clever Portal with Chrome and have the Clever browser extension installed. You can find instructions for setting up the Chrome extension here.
- After configuring the above, there are three steps to set up any application for universal SSO from our Clever Portal:
1. Find and add an application
Visit the Add Applications page in your Clever dashboard to find the application you would like to use. Once identified, click Request App.
Next, select if you would like the application to support rostering via Clever Secure Sync and select: Request
What if I don't see an application I want?
No problem! Clever can securely build a connection for almost any application. To add a new application, click Request "app name" below the search results:
To help Clever get the application ready for your district, submit the Login Page URL, as well as a working username and password for testing purposes:
We’ll email you once the application is ready for your district so you can continue with the next steps.
2. Securely manage credentials
Once an application has been added, you can upload usernames and passwords. There are two options to set up usernames and passwords: district-managed or user-managed.
With this option, a Clever administrator uploads a CSV file with usernames and passwords for each student, teacher, and/or admin who will use the application. While this does involve a CSV file for each application, the rollout of a new resource is seamless because you don’t need to distribute credentials to your users.
View the required format for uploading application credentials.
With this option, students and teachers enter their own credentials the first time they click on an application in their Clever Portal:
From that point onward, Clever securely stores the user’s username and password to log them in automatically. While this requires all users having to enter a username and password once, this method requires no additional work by a Clever administrator.
3. Configure user access
Once you've added an application and uploaded user credentials, use the Clever sharing interface to select exactly which users should see the new application in their portal. You can give access by school, grade level, or even what courses students are taking. We have a set of common sharing rules to get you started—or you can create your own rule from scratch.
What device(s) can I use with saved passwords?
Applications with saved passwords can be used on any device that supports Chrome and the use of Chrome extensions: desktop computers, laptops, and Chromebooks with a Chrome browser are all supported. Because iPads and other devices don't support Chrome extensions, they cannot currently be used with the saved passwords functionality.
What if my users can't sign in?
If users are having trouble logging in, chances are they need to update their credentials for the given website. You can follow these troubleshooting steps to confirm that's the case or to see if it's a different issue.
What happens when Instant Login becomes available for a saved-password app?
Once Instant Login becomes available for a saved-password application, the app will be updated on the Add Applications page. If your district is already connected to a saved-password app you will be able to continue to use it. The Clever team will work with you to switch over to the higher-quality Instant Login application.
Get started with these helpful resources:
- How do I pilot Saved-password applications?
- How do I test Saved-password applications?
- How do I convert added links to Saved-password applications?