What is data access?
Data access allows you to select which fields are available to your application via Clever’s API. The feature helps districts audit the fields each of their connected applications ingests and ensures you and our other application partners only receive and sync data relevant to your integration.
Data access is broken into two categories for sensitive records types:
- Required: Fields that are marked as required must be sent by the district to your application
- Optional: Districts can select which optional fields they want to send to your application
For non-sensitive record types please select all fields that your application can ingest. Districts cannot opt out of sending these fields if they are included from their SIS to Clever.
How do I setup Data Access?
Start with your developer application! By setting and testing changes on your developer application, you can avoid any disruptions for your end users.
1. Navigate to the 'Data Access' tab under 'Application Settings'. Here you’ll see separate modules for each data type with the option to edit both required and optional fields for sensitive data types and the option to edit non-sensitive data types.
2. Click ‘Edit Required’ or ‘Edit Optional’ (only available for student related collections) to adjust the data access settings for your application. On the left hand side, you’ll see all fields available for the specific data type. By clicking on a field name, you’ll move it over to the ‘Required field’ list. Fields under ‘Required fields’ will be made available to your application via the API. Fields saved under ‘Available fields’ will no longer be available for your application once saved. You will be able to come back to this page and add those fields at a later date if you need them.
3. Click 'Save' and repeat for other data types.
4. Test the settings with your developer application and sandbox district before adjusting them in your production application.
Frequently Asked Questions
How is data access different from data validation?
Data access changes the fields that are available to your application via Clever’s API.
Example: Student DOB is not marked as a required or optional field in your dashboard, so it won’t be available to your application via the API even if the district includes it in their feed to Clever from their SIS.
Data validation is a way to check that the data available to your application meets the requirements of your integration. Example: Student number must be unique within a district. Please read "What are Data Warnings?" for more information on data validation.
Can I adjust field requirements on a district-by-district basis?
No. The field requirements set in your dashboard apply to all connected districts. Districts can select which optional fields they make available to your application via Clever, so the fields available to you via the API may differ slightly from district to district.
How are districts notified of changes to field requirements?
Districts will receive a notification within their Clever dashboard if you make any updates to the required or optional fields once the connection is launched.
What is the difference between sensitive collections and non-sensitive collections?
Sensitive collections are data that pertains directly to students (student + student contacts). Districts have more autonomy to exclude or include fields for these collections on a per app basis.
Some of my fields are missing, how can I get them?
If your application requires ell_status, iep_status, or frl_status let us know and we'll be happy to add those fields for you!
What if I want some of this data in the future?
These settings will be available for you in your dashboard. If your application requires a piece of data in the future you'll simply be able to navigate here and add it. For the majority of districts, that data field will be available upon next sync.