What is field level sharing?
Field level sharing allows you to select which fields are available to your application via Clever’s API. The feature helps districts audit the fields each of their connected applications ingests and ensures you and our other application partners only receive and sync data relevant to your integration.
Field level sharing is broken into two categories:
- Required: Fields that are marked as required must be sent by the district to your application
- Optional: Districts can select which optional fields they want to send to your application
How do I setup field level sharing?
Start with your developer application! By setting and testing changes on your developer application, you can avoid any disruptions for your end users.
1. Navigate to the 'Data Access' tab under 'Application Settings'. Here you’ll see separate modules for each data type with the option to edit both required and optional fields.
2. Click ‘Edit Required’ or ‘Edit Optional’ to adjust the field level sharing settings for your application. On the left hand side, you’ll see all fields available for the specific data type. By clicking on a field name, you’ll move it over to the ‘Selected field’ list. Fields under ‘Selected fields’ will be made available to your application via the API.
3. Click 'Save' and repeat for other data types.
4. Test the settings with your developer application and sandbox district before adjusting them in your production application.
Frequently Asked Questions
What fields does Clever recommend I pull?
For the most part, it’s up to the needs of your application. However, we recommend making the following fields required, so that you can properly connect records between data types and troubleshoot any sync issues within your Clever dashboard:
Student: District_id, School_id, Student_id, First_name, Last_name, SIS_id
Teacher: District_id, School_id, Teacher_id, First_name, Last_name, SIS_id
Sections: District_id, School_id, Section_id, First_name, Last_name, SIS_id
Schooladmin: District_id, School_id, Admin_id, First_name, Last_name, SIS_id
Districtadmin: District_id, School_id, Admin_id, First_name, Last_name, SIS_id
Schools: District_id, School_id, Student_id, First_name, Last_name, SIS_id
Districts: District_id, School_id, Student_id, Name, SIS_id
How is field level sharing different from data validation?
Field level sharing changes the fields that are available to your application via Clever’s API. Example: Connected districts must send student number. Data validation is a way to check that the data available to your application meets the requirements of your integration. Example: Student number must be unique within a district. Please read "What are Data Warnings?" for more information on data validation.
Can I adjust field requirements on a district-by-district basis?
No. The field requirements set in your dashboard apply to all connected districts. Districts can select which optional fields they make available to your application via Clever, so the fields available to you via the API may differ slightly from district to district.
How are districts notified of changes to field requirements?
Districts will receive a notification within their Clever dashboard if you make any updates to the required or optional fields once the connection is launched.