What is data sharing?
The final step in adding an application to your Clever dashboard is setting your sharing permissions to let Clever know which of your data you'd like to make available to that application. Clever will not share data with an application until you set the application’s sharing permissions.
Which applications am I able to share data with?
There may be some applications configured at the district level. These will appear
automatically in the Portal for your school, and you do not need to set sharing rules for
them! When you log into your Dashboard, you'll see some apps labeled with
"School-Site Sharing." You can adjust the sharing permissions for these applications to
grant or remove access to for specific users and classes.
What is a sharing rule?
A rule allows you to scope down from all the sections synced with Clever to a single set of sections. For example, a rule could be:
- All the math classes in a particular school;
- The math classes for grades 3-6 in the district, except for in two schools; or
- One specific teacher’s 11th-grade homeroom class.
Think of a rule as a sentence:
“Match all sections where <a field in Clever> <is/is not/contains> <value>”
How do I create a sharing rule?
- Access the Sharing Permissions page for an application. To do this, log in to your Clever dashboard and select "School site sharing" next to the icon for the app under the "Sharing" column: or the name of the app, then "Data sharing" under the "Shared Data" box.
- Once you’re on the 'Data Sharing' tab, select the school you would like to set a sharing rule for. If you're associated with more than one school, you can only share data for one school at a time.
- On the next screen choose the type of rule you want to create. You can build off one of our pre-existing templates, or create your own.
- You'll then be brought to a page to create your rule.
Constructing sharing rules
Our interface allows you to create rules with the same structure as outlined in “What is a Rule?” (“Share all sections where <a field in Clever> <is/is not/contains> <value>”).
The available fields in Clever are:
- Course Name
- Course Number
- Section Grade
- SIS ID
- Teacher SIS ID
- Term Name
The modifiers you can use are:
- equals any of
- does not equal any of
- does not contain
For values, you can either type in any value you’d like, or use it as a search bar to find and click on the value you want.
If you’d like to scope a rule down even further, you can click the ‘Add a new filter' button to add new criteria.
Here’s an example rule: I want to share all 1st or 2nd grade classes in Pineapple where the name of the class contains the word “Homeroom”.
Below this rule, you’ll see a list of data that meet these criteria, so you can make sure that the rule you’re using correctly captures the data you want. Please note that you can adjust the number of rows you see per page:
Once the rule is ready, click 'Done editing', and save!
Can I have multiple rules?
Absolutely! Once you click the ‘Add Rule’ button, you can add an additional rule. Please note when you add an additional rule, the two rules are mutually exclusive. This means if you want to build off the existing rule, you'll want to add a filter to the rule itself (see above), rather than create a new rule entirely.
Can I edit or delete a rule?
You can delete a rule by clicking the red ‘X’ button next to the rule. You can edit an existing rule by clicking the pencil button next to the rule.