- Make sure your district is set up with Clever! If your district has not been set up with Clever, you can get started by going to this link: https://clever.com/signup
- If your district is already on Clever, you can add Newsela by following these instructions:
- Log into your Clever Dashboard and select: Applications > Add Applications from the left navigation.
- Search for Newsela.
- You will also be asked if you would like to request a custom Launch Date. The Launch Date is the first day users can access the application through Clever.
- Once you have made your selections, click Request!
- Once you have made your request, it will be sent to the Newsela team for approval. This process usually takes one business day, but may take as long as a week during peak periods.
- Once the request is accepted, Newsela recommends logging in a few users to confirm that they can sign in and import classes.
Recommended sharing rules
Newsela recommends sharing data by school. You can share data for all your schools - including schools that may not have Newsela PRO licenses yet. Any users not covered by a Newsela PRO license who log in with Clever will be taken to Newsela's free product.
Setting up Newsela for school and district leaders
Newsela's Binder feature provides school and district leaders with the ability to aggregate student performance data. School and district leaders will need to be set up in Clever and log into Newsela with Clever to ensure Binder access.
- Any administrators who need district-wide binder access should be added to Clever in the District Curriculum Lead or District Administrator role.
- Any school administrators who need school level binder access should be added to Clever in the Staff role.
Setting up co-teachers in Newsela
Newsela supports co-teachers and will import co-teachers from Clever. If you are using the Clever integration, Newsela co-teachers have to be set up in Clever by a system administrator and cannot be set up by individual teachers in Newsela.
Users with old Newsela accounts
Many teachers create free Newsela accounts before their district purchases Newsela and are concerned about retaining data associated with their free accounts.
Newsela automatically merges user accounts on matching emails. If a teacher sets up a free Newsela account with their district email address, the system will recognize and merge their account the first time they log in to Newsela with Clever using that email address. As long as the email addresses match in all systems, users can easily change authentication methods. Users who log in using accounts associated with different email addresses will create duplicate accounts.
Newsela's support team can merge accounts if users provide both email addresses. Teachers who need accounts merged should contact Newsela's support team at https://support.newsela.com/hc/en-us.
Unlike many other applications, Newsela does not import user or class roster information in bulk. Newsela imports data on demand.
When a teacher or student logs in for the first time, Newsela creates their account. However, Newsela waits to import classes until teachers choose to sync their classes through Clever. Newsela then updates data every time a teacher logs in.
Why am I getting a "data warning" or a "data requirement" error?
A data requirement error occurs when the record is incompatible with Newsela's integration with Clever. In this case, the user or section will not appear in the application. Data requirements must be resolved for users or sections to be successfully processed by the application.
A data warning error occurs when the user or section has a data compatibility issue with the application that may result in a degraded experience within the application. We recommend addressing these issues or contacting the application directly to determine the impact of a particular data warning.
Why is my data not showing up in Newsela?
Newsela syncs data on demand. This means the data will only appear in Newsela once a user logs in. Classes in Newsela will roster once a teacher chooses to sync to Clever. Please note that since each individual teacher selects which classes to roster, students will only see full rosters if their respective teachers synced classes. Most students will not see full rosters in Newsela.
Why is my student or teacher missing from Newsela?
Please check to see if this user meets the following requirements before reaching out to Newsela:
- Student or teacher is present in your SIS data
- Student or teacher is present in our Clever data and shared with Newsela
If the user is missing from your Clever data, but in your SIS, please contact Clever Support.
Why are classes missing from Clever?
Newsela only imports current classes from Clever. If a teacher attempts to sync a Clever class before the term start date, the class will not import.
Teachers might be missing classes because the classes have either not been imported or because they've been archived. Teachers can resolve this by following these steps:
- In Newsela, click on the Archived Classes tab.
- Select "Restore" to reactivate the missing classes. If there are no classes in the page, skip to the next step.
- Navigate back to the Classes tab.
- Click "Sync with Clever"
If the class is missing from your Clever data, but in your SIS, please contact Clever Support.
Who should I ask for help with this issue?
If the issue is related to data within Clever or data coming from Clever, please contact Clever Support.
If the issue is related to functionality within Newsela, please contact Newsela Support.