This article is here to guide you through the best way to connect Clever with Google Classroom! There are two guides below:
Guide A is for districts that use Google as a login method for Clever
Guide B is for districts that use other login methods for Clever but still use Google products (e.g. Log in with Active Directory, Log in with Canvas, Log in with Clever)
Guide A: "Log in with Google"
This guide is for those districts that use Google as a login method for Clever. You can confirm if your district uses Google as a login method by navigating to Portal > SSO Settings
If you would like to add Google Authentication for your account, the directions can be found here.
- Navigate to the Clever Portal and select Customize Portal
- Locate the category where you would like to add Google Classroom and select Add link
- Select Google Classroom from the suggestion list
- By default, Google Classroom will appear in the Clever Portal for all users.
If you would like to adjust which users can see Google Classroom, select Edit from underneath the app icon. Adjust the user types, grades, and schools as desired and select Save Link.
- From the top-right, select Publish Changes.
The user experience:
Users will log in to Clever using their Google email and password. If they are on a Chromebook or have already logged in to Google, they will be automatically logged in! No need to re-enter their email and password.
Guide B: Other login methods
This guide is for districts that use a non-Google login method for Clever. This may be any of the following:
- Add the Google Classroom app using this link.
- Set sharing permissions for the app.
- By default, users will be prompted to enter their Google email and passwords the first time they use the SSO (Saved Passwords) application. Clever will securely store these credentials for future logins. If you wish to pre-populate credentials for users, you can do so by following the directions found here.
If you would like to provide seamless logins for other Google apps, the SSO (Saved Passwords) apps for common Google applications are linked below:
The user experience:
Users will log in to Clever using your district's normal login method. When they click on Google Classroom in the Clever Portal, they will be logged in to Google Classroom!
If users are accessing Clever on devices where they are already logged in to Google, you can seamlessly log them into Clever appending the following to your Clever Portal URL:
When users are provided this URL, Clever will use the active Google session to authenticate the user automatically, removing the need for users to click Log in with Google or re-enter their Google credentials. Your district-specific Portal URL can be found by navigating to Portal > Portal Settings.