Custom sections are a great way to create rostering data within Clever that does not exist in your district’s student information system (SIS). This can be helpful in cases such as summer school, intervention groups, after-school programs, and more!
Custom sections will not overwrite any sections being synced to Clever by your SIS, nor can they be overwritten by the sections synced by your SIS. Custom sections are also indistinguishable from your synced SIS sections to most Clever-integrated applications.
Creating individual custom sections
Step 1: Add Section Info
- Navigate to your Support Tools > Custom Data page.
- Select 'Create custom data' > 'Sections'.
- Begin by entering a section name and the school to be associated with the section.
- We recommend being as descriptive as possible with the section name (e.g. course_name - teacher_last_name - period).
- Enter the 'Class Data' (i.e. grade, subject and period).
- Enter the optional 'Term Data' and 'Course Data' if desired. These fields may be helpful in identifying the section in Clever and connected applications.
- Once all required fields are populated, you will be able to press 'Next' to proceed.
Step 2: Add Teachers
- Next, select the primary teacher who should be associated with the section. You can also add up to nine co-teachers for each custom section.
- To select teachers from a school location other than where the section is assigned, click in the white search box to the right to bring up a list of schools. Select the other school location to bring up a list of teachers from that school.
- If the teacher is not yet in Clever or in your SIS, please see this article for instructions on creating a custom teacher in Clever: Custom Data: Teachers
- Select 'Next' to proceed.
Step 3: Select Primary Teacher
- Next, indicate which of the teachers will be the primary teacher for the section. If an application does not support co-teachers, this primary teacher will be the teacher associated with the custom section in the app.
- Select 'Next' to proceed.
Step 4: Add Students
- Select which students should be enrolled in the section.
- Please note: Clever can support up to 10,000 students enrolled in a single section. However, Clever can only support up to 100 students enrolled in a single section for the 'Classes' tab in Teacher Pages to function.
- To select students from a school location other than where the section is assigned, click in the white search box to bring up a list of schools. Select the other school location to bring up a list of students from that school. You can further filter the list of students by selecting only certain grade levels.
- If the student is not yet in Clever or in your SIS, please see this article for instructions on creating a custom student in Clever: Custom Data: Students
- Select 'Next' to proceed.
Step 5: Preview
- Review the custom section to ensure the details look correct before selecting 'Create Section'.
Step 6: Share with applications
- Once the custom section is available in Clever, you can share it with connected applications. Please see this article for details.
Creating multiple custom sections via upload
Districts Admins can also create custom sections in bulk by uploading two CSV files (sections.csv and enrollments.csv) to Clever. There are two methods for uploading custom data which are detailed in this section.
- Please note: The CSV file formats for custom sections and enrollments are identical to our standard SFTP specifications for the sections.csv and enrollments.csv.
Bulk uploading custom sections will not impact custom sections that were created manually from the Custom Data page.
Step 1: Create your sections.csv and enrollments.csv
- Navigate to your district dashboard > Sync > Upload page to download example files with pre-formatted columns.
- The two files needed are the sections.csv and enrollments.csv which must be formatted according to Clever's SFTP Specifications.
- The required fields for the two CSV files are:
|Must match an existing school_id (i.e. SIS ID) for a school in Clever|
|Must be unique across the district|
|Unique name for the section (e.g. Algebra -101 - Period 1A)|
|Must match a teacher_ID (i.e. SIS ID) for a teacher in Clever|
|e.g. Algebra, Geometry, Creating Writing, etc.|
|Subjects should adhere to the Clever specification|
If creating Custom Sections for Summer, include 'Summer' in this field for easier data sharing
Must match an existing school_id (i.e. SIS ID) for a school in Clever
Must match the section_id in the sections.csv file
Must match an existing student_id (i.e. SIS ID) for a student in Clever
Avoiding common file errors:
- File Naming: Please ensure the file names are sections.csv and enrollments.csv before uploading them.
- Leading Zeroes: If you are creating these files in Excel, please confirm that leading zeros are not being auto-formatted and removed from IDs. Formatting cells as 'Text' prior to adding values will usually do the trick. Visit this article for details.
Uploading the CSV files
There are two ways to upload the sections.csv and enrollments.csv files to Clever:
- Navigate to your custom data page.
- Select "Add custom data" from the top right corner, and then choose "Upload records"
The second method is to upload the files directly to your district's Clever SFTP folder. Please note this will require an installed FTP client on your device. Visit this article for additional details.
Step 2: Locate your SFTP Credentials
- Navigate to your district dashboard > Sync > Settings page to locate your district's SFTP Upload URL and credentials.
Step 3: Create an SFTP subfolder for the custom data files
- Log in to your Clever SFTP box, and create a new subfolder named 'customsections'.
- Upload the sections.csv and enrollments.csv to the 'customsections' subfolder
Step 4: Check your work!
- Once the files finish processing (within 15-20 minutes), you will be able to see the new custom sections from your district dashboard > Support Tools > Custom Data page.
Editing custom sections
- To edit a custom section, navigate to your district dashboard > Support Tools > Custom Data page.
- From the Sections tab, click the pencil icon under the ‘Actions’ column to the right of the section name.
- This will open a custom sections wizard which allows you to make any needed adjustments.
Deleting custom sections
- To delete a custom section, navigate to your district dashboard > Support Tools > Custom Data page.
- From the Sections tab, click the trash icon under the ‘Actions' column to the right of the section name.
- To delete all custom sections in bulk, you can upload a blank sections.csv and enrollments.csv (with only the column headers) to your custom data page or to your district's SFTP folder. Please see this section for instructions.
Sharing custom sections with apps
Custom sections are shared with applications through the same interface as sections that are synced from your district's SIS. Once a custom section is available (within 15 minutes of creating it), we recommend reviewing any necessary application sharing permissions to ensure the section is shared as needed. For more information on sharing permissions, see this article.
If you have any questions about custom sections, please reach out to Clever support! We are happy to help!