Clever assigns primary schools based off users' sections
By default, Clever assigns users' primary schools where the majority of their sections are located. This means that if a student is enrolled in 3 sections at School A and 5 sections at School B, their primary school will be School B in Clever (regardless of which school the student is assigned to in your SIS). For teachers, Clever looks at which school they teach the most sections.
Specific details on this logic:
- Keep in mind that if a student or teacher's sections change during the year, their primary school in Clever may also change.
- If a teacher has the same number of sections at two or more schools Clever will choose the school where the total number of students enrolled in the teacher's sections is the greatest.
- If a student has the same number of sections at two or more schools, we'll choose the school where the total number of students enrolled in this student's sections is the greatest.
- If a student or teacher is not associated with any sections, we'll use the school the user is assigned to in your SIS.
- SFTP syncs: Clever looks at a student's associated sections in the enrollments.csv file to determine that student's primary school. Clever looks at a teacher's associated sections in the sections.csv file to determine that teacher's primary school.
What if I don't want Clever to assign primary schools?
No problem! Simply contact Clever support if you'd rather Clever use student and teachers' primary school exactly as it's listed in your SIS. We can disable our default logic for either students or teachers, or both user types. Once this logic is disabled, Clever will look to your SIS data (either from the Auto Sync exports or SFTP files) as the source of truth for primary school assignments, instead of the student or teacher's sections.