Even after your data syncs with Clever, you may have missing or non-unique information that could affect application performance. The impact of missing and non-unique data within the application varies, but in many cases, students and teachers cannot access an application. Because of this, resolving data warnings is an important troubleshooting step when something looks off in an application. For example:
- Two teachers sharing a non-unique teacher_number could log both teachers into the same account;
- Two students sharing a non-unique email could prevent both students from logging in
- Students without credentials.district_usernames will not be able to access the application.
Examining the Data Quality page in the dashboard provides actionable statistics that allow you to resolve these discrepancies.
Data Errors: If a record is flagged by a "data error", the user or section will not appear in the application. Data errors must be resolved for users or sections to be successfully processed by the application.
Data Warnings: If a record is flagged by a Data Warning, the user or section has a compatibility issue with the application that may result in a degraded app experience. We recommend addressing these issues or contacting the application directly to determine the impact of a particular Data Warning.
Where can I find Data Warnings?
Data Warnings are specific to each application. You can view your Data Warnings in 1) the Clever dashboard under Support Tools > Data Quality, or 2) by clicking on an application and going to the View Data Quality link under the 'Application Receives' panel.
On the Data Quality page, you can see both Data errors (stop sign) and Data warnings (yield sign). The data issues are further organized by Data Type, Field, Number of issues, and Impacted Applications.
Clicking on the links under the 'Data Type' and 'Number of issues' columns will take you to either a Teacher or Student Data Quality page (below) that displays a more detailed description of the Data Requirements/Warnings, as well as individual impacted applications. From here, you can download .csv files containing specific lines of data with issues.
Each application connected to your Clever account requires specific fields to be populated in Clever. Issues related to missing information show the number of records without data in those fields. To resolve these issues, update your data to include the missing values.
Records missing the credentials.district_username field:
- SFTP syncs: Add the “Username” column to your students.csv file or teachers.csv file. The username should be unique across the district
- SIS-managed Auto Sync: Reach out to your SIS and request that they add a “Username” column to the students.csv or teachers.csv file sent to Clever.
- Clever-managed Auto Sync: Submit a sync customization request to Clever Support from the Sync Settings page of your dashboard. Our team can map a field of your choosing to the credentials.district_username field in Clever in order to resolve this Data Warning.
Issues related to non-unique information will be listed in Data Warnings for the fields below, regardless of which applications are connected to your Clever account. The issue will include every record that shares each non-unique field value. To resolve these issues, update your data to provide a unique value for every record sharing the same information.
- Students with non-unique emails
- Students with non-unique student_numbers
- Teachers with non-unique emails
- Teachers with non-unique teacher_numbers
- Teachers and Staff with non-unique emails
Resolving Data Warnings
Click on 'Export to CSV' to download a CSV file with a list of affected records. To resolve each data warning, you’ll need to update the data syncing to Clever. For Auto Syncs, make changes directly in your Student Information System, and they’ll be updated in Clever upon your next sync. For SFTP syncs, corrections need to be reflected in all future SFTP file uploads.