✓ Runs every four hours, by exporting via Direct Database Export (DDE)
✓ Syncs all students with an active enrollment status ("enroll_status" = 0)
✓ Syncs Teachers that are assigned to an active School and have an active staff status ("Status" = 1)
X Student email addresses are not synced by default. Information on syncing student emails from PowerSchool can be found here.
X Cannot sync the Central Office (school_id = 0), or any teachers assigned to this site
X Cannot sync co-teachers. As an alternative, districts can manually add co-teachers to sections directly within Clever. More info can be found here.
X Cannot sync Staff to Clever. Staff can be manually added to Clever using these directions.
Clever requires specific permissions in order to facilitate an automatic sync with your SIS. Clever is a read-only service, and requires the following permissions to integrate with PowerSchool. Please see the attached document for best practices.
In addition to these permissions, we recommend the following best practices:
- Create an individual SIS account only for Clever -- no one else should log in with the same credentials; and
- Limit Clever's SIS account to read-only access.
Note: Clever also offers an alternative method of sharing PowerSchool rosters with Clever (via SFTP) – please contact us if you’d like to explore this option for your district.
- PowerSchool syncs can be customized to sync nightly, instead of every two hours.
- Clever can filter exports from PowerSchool to limit the schools, teachers, or students included in the sync. Reach out to Clever Support if you would like to filter exports.
- To request customizations or filtering for your PowerSchool sync, request assistance from Clever Support.
Syncing Student Emails
Student email addresses are not synced by default, but they can be synced using one of the following methods.
1. If student emails are stored in a field exportable via the DDE...
If your student emails are stored in a field that is exportable by DDE, contact Clever Support with the exact field name as it appears in the DDE. Our team can assist with updating your sync to pull student emails from this location.
2. If student emails are stored on the Email Configuration page for students...
If student emails are stored on the Email configuration page in PowerSchool, Clever can pull this data with additional PowerSchool permissions:
In order to sync your student email addresses, we'll need you to enable page level-permissions for Quick Export. Here's how you can do this:
1. Turn on Page Level Permissions: Navigate to: Start Page > System Administrator > Security > Access to Page Permissions (/admin/security/changepageaccesspriv.html)
2. Navigate to Quick Exports: Start > System > Page and Data Management > Quick Export (admin/importexport/exportstudents.html)
3. Click on Modify access privileges for this page.
4. Set permissions for the appropriate security group to 'Full'.
(The security group should be the group assigned to the PowerSchool user you've shared with Clever).
5. Submit changes.
6. Turn off Page Level Permissions: Navigate to: Start Page > System Administrator > Security > Access to Page Permissions (/admin/security/changepageaccesspriv.html)
3. If student emails are not exportable from DDE or from the Email Configuration screen...
Clever will not be able to pull student emails as part of the auto sync, however, you do have the ability to manually sideload emails. Please see the following Help Center article: How do I upload emails that are not in my SIS?
School Year Rollover
On August 1st, Clever will begin syncing all enrollments with an end date after August 1st, 2020 (“DateLeft” > 8/1/2020). If you would like to begin syncing enrollments for the 2020-21 School Year before August, please request assistance from Clever Support.
If a record (student, teacher, section) is in Clever but data is missing or incorrect for the record (i.e. incorrect email, missing username), navigate to the Sync > Settings page in your Clever dashboard. Under Sync Controls, click on View field mappings
Here you can view which fields Clever is pulling for each record and field. In the below example:
- If a teacher's email address was incorrect, confirm the email is correct in the "Email_addr" field in PowerSchool
- If a teacher is missing State_teacher_id, you will see that Clever is not currently pulling this data. Please contact Clever Support to see what options may be available to pull this data.
If an entire record is missing, we recommend checking the following:
Clever will only sync students that meet the following conditions:
- Record is active
- enroll_status = 0
Clever will only sync teachers that meet the following conditions:
- Record is active ("Active" box is checked)
- Assigned to a school, not the district office
- status = 1
Clever will only sync sections that meet the following conditions:
- Minimum of 1 active student enrolled
- No_of_students > 0
- TermID >= 3000 (please refer to TermID for current academic year)
Clever does not sync records from PowerSchool to the Staff role in Clever.
There may be users such as administrators, secretaries, and para-professionals who might not use PowerSchool directly but need access to applications through Clever. If those users are missing from your Clever data, there are two options to sync them to Clever.
Option A) Sync as teacher
To sync the user as a teacher, confirm they meet the record requirements as outlined above.
Option B) Manually add to Clever using Custom Data
If the user requires access to teacher features or will need to be connected to a section, add the user as a Custom Teacher.
If the user does not require teacher features and only will be using Clever for Single Sign-On (SSO), add the user as Custom Staff.
Below you can find solutions to common sync errors that may display in your Clever Dashboard.
“PowerSchool is not currently available at the URL provided. Please update the URL in your system settings page if necessary.”
Some common causes for URL errors include:
“Invalid username/password specified. Please check SIS credentials on settings page.”
Your district's PowerSchool login URL has changed or the credentials have expired, changed, or are no longer valid.
You can update your district's credentials on the Sync Settings page.Here is an article to assist with correcting this error and get your district's sync back up and running: Sync Error: How do I resolve "Invalid username/password specified"?
|“Account locked due to sign in attempts with incorrect password. Please contact your SIS administrator to remove this restriction."||
In order to get your district's sync back up and running successfully, you can follow the steps in this article.
"The password on the SIS account needs to be reset. Please log in to PowerSchool to set a new password, then update SIS credentials on settings page."
Step 1: Log in to your SIS as an administrator and reset the password for the Clever access account. You can see the username you’ve shared with Clever on your Sync Settings page.
Step 2: In a new window, log in to your SIS with the Clever access account username and the new password.
Step 3: Enter the temporary password and create a new password
Step 4: Update the Sync Settings page in your dashboard with the new password
"No active enrollments found for the school term configured in Clever."
Clever syncs, enrollments (CC) if the DateLeft > 8/1/2020
Verify that enrollments for your district meet the requirement. Once the enrollments meet this requirement, your district's sync will resume
“Failed to export Sections: got error Alert: Cannot Export No sections selected Export: Back”
Confirm there is active section data in PowerSchool and that the schedules for the new school year have been published.
Default Field Mappings
Below are the default field mappings for PowerSchool Auto Syncs that are managed by Clever.
- Your district may have custom field mappings applied. To view the specific mappings for your account, navigate to the Sync > Settings page in your Clever dashboard. Under Sync Controls, click on View field mappings
- If a field is blank, the field is either not pulled by default, or not accessible to Clever
- If you want to change a field mapping, please contact Clever Support to learn what options are available.
- If a field is not coming through with the correct value, Clever Support may need to complete a value mapping. This is common for: Grade, FRL_Status, ELL_Status, and IEP_Status.
|Teacher_2_ID, Teacher_3 ID, etc.|
|Name||Clever-generated: course_name - teacher_last_name - period|
|Subject||Auto-populated by Clever using a keyword search on Course_Name|