Is summer approaching? Here’s what you need to know about how Clever will handle class roster data as the school year changes.
Clever schedules a pause for all districts that goes into effect two days before your last day of school and are set to resume 2 weeks before the start of school. We know school year schedules vary, so we encourage you to customize your pause dates. You can modify your district's pause dates in your Clever Dashboard with these instructions.
This article contains the following:
- How can I make sure we don't lose any teachers or students from our apps over the summer?
- What about summer school?
- When will my new data sync?
- How can I check that Clever is correctly setup for the new school year?
While your sync is paused Clever will not process any data, allowing you to make changes to your SIS without interrupting student or teacher access to applications. Current school year data will be "frozen" in Clever for the duration of your pause. While your sync is paused, you will still be able to adjust your sharing permissions for the applications connected to your account.
Recommended district actions: Clever recommends that you adjust the First and Last Day of your pause as follows:
- First Day: This will be the first day your sync is paused, which should coincide with the last day of the current school year. Note, current school year data should still be active in your SIS on this day.
- Last Day: This will be the last day your sync is paused, which should be the day before your SIS data is active for the coming school year. For example, if next school year's data will be active in your SIS on 8/15/18, your Last Day should be set for 8/14/18. This may also be your last day of summer.
Once your pause ends, please follow the instructions for your sync type to guarantee that new school year data can begin syncing:
- Clever-managed auto-syncs: Review the Help Center article for your SIS.
- SIS-managed auto-syncs: Confirm with your SIS that new school year data is being sent to Clever; contact Clever Support to clear the hold on your account.
- SFTP syncs: Your account will go on hold when you upload new school year data; contact Clever Support to clear the hold on your account.
If you would like to use Clever to sync summer school sections, we encourage districts to utilize Clever's Custom Sections feature. With Custom Sections, you can create classes within Clever via our Dashboard interface or through a CSV upload.
The Custom Sections CSV upload will not overwrite any class data already syncing to Clever and will be indistinguishable from your SIS data to applications, allowing your district to simultaneously share Spring and Summer sections.
Auto Syncs: When your summer pause ends and your '18-19 data is active in your SIS, your Clever sync will go on hold due to the large changes in the data syncing. To review the hold, navigate to your Clever Sync Report. If the data looks correct, click "Approve". Once the hold is cleared, your '18-19 rosters will begin populating in Clever as they become active in your SIS.If the the data looks incorrect, please contact Clever Support for assistance.
For more information on clearing holds, see this article.
SFTP Syncs: When your summer pause ends and you begin populating your 5 CSV files with '18-19 data, your Clever sync will go on hold due to the large changes in the data syncing.
Depending on the magnitude of changes, you may be able to release the holds yourself or send to Clever Support to release. Click here to learn how to release SFTP holds.
Please note: if you are currently sharing roster data with applications by section, you'll need to update your section sharing preferences before application partners are able to see your data.
We recommend reviewing the data in Clever to confirm that you’re ready to go for the new school year. Follow our quick process:
- Confirm that '18-19 rosters are active in your SIS.
- Confirm that your Clever sync is no longer on hold.
- Confirm that your data sharing permissions are set properly. If you were sharing by section, you will need to select new sections to share.
- If your student grade levels are syncing, use the data browser in your Clever Dashboard to spot check a few students to make sure their grade levels have increased.
- While you’re in the data browser in your Clever dashboard, also spot check a few sections to make sure '18-19 sections are syncing.
Reusing Section ID #'s
For school year rollover, to ensure the '18-'19 section IDs are different from the '17-'18 section IDs, we will be refreshing all section_ids within Clever. This is to make sure sections for the new school year do not retain data from the previous school year within your learning applications. This shouldn't impact students and teachers retaining historical data in their learning resources as apps expect all new sections for the start of the school year.
When your district's sync unpauses, we will automatically provision all of your sections new Clever IDs even if the section IDs stay the same.