When your district's most recent student information system (SIS) sync to Clever is going to change a significant amount of rostering data in Clever, our system initiates an automatic sync hold to prevent the changes from processing until reviewed and approved by a district admin.
Sync holds are an important part of the sync process as they ensure that districts are aware of any potentially significant changes to their Clever data. Without holds, districts could experience unintended changes to data, which could then impact district applications. Holds are a safeguard to prevent potentially incorrect or undesired changes from being processed, and then synced to connected applications.
Sync hold thresholds
- A district's data goes on hold when over 75% of any data type (e.g. schools, students, teachers, sections) is being updated, or over 10% is being deleted.
- If record deletions exceed 95%, the district admin clicking the 'Approve Changes' option from their district dashboard > Sync page will open up a ticket with Clever support (CS) for additional review.
- Once a hold is resolved (by a district admin or CS), the district’s sync will return to the fully operational status
When a sync hold is triggered, the Clever district admin owner will receive an email titled 'Action Required: Clever Sync On Hold' asking them to review the potential changes from the most recent SIS sync before they are processed.
District admins can review their sync reports from the district dashboard > Sync page. The report consists of a table summarizing the data changes that triggered the sync hold. These changes will not be processed in Clever until they have been approved by a district admin.
Selecting the 'Download Changes' option to the right of each data type will provide a detailed view of the updates, deletions, warnings and errors for that data type.
Great! You can select the blue 'Approve Changes' option.
- If the changes are less than 95% deletions or updates for any data type, selecting the 'Approve Changes' option will release the sync hold, and Clever will immediately begin processing the new data.
- If the changes are more than 95% deletions or updates for any data type, selecting the 'Approve Changes' option will cause the button to turn gray, and a ticket will be opened with Clever Support. This is an extra safeguard for districts.
- Be sure to include a message noting the details of the intended change. Clever Support will review the hold and release it if everything looks correct, or they will contact you if there are any concerns.
No problem! If the changes were not intentional, please follow these steps:
For SFTP syncs:
- Select 'Discard Changes'.
- Depending on your district's sync type, you will:
- SFTP syncs: Review and correct the CSV file(s) that triggered the hold, and then re-upload your CSV files to Clever via the district dashboard > Sync > Upload page.
- SIS-managed SFTP syncs: Clever has little insight into how data is filtered and exported from a district's SIS so we are not able to help troubleshoot beyond looking at the files we receive. If you are unable to determine why the data changes were incorrect, please reach out to your SIS rep to see if they can investigate the issue on their end.
- Submit another upload: If the revised data matches your existing data in Clever closely enough, the new upload will override the hold, and the changes will process automatically.
- Select 'Discard Changes'.
- Review the data in your SIS to see if you can determine why the synced data is changing so significantly. It may be necessary to loop in your SIS rep for assistance.
- Once the issues have been addressed in your SIS, you should be able to initiate a sync to Clever using the 'Sync Now' option in the district dashboard > Sync > Settings page.
- If the revised data matches your existing data in Clever closely enough, the new upload will override the hold, and the changes will process automatically.
Please contact Clever support to if additional help is needed with your sync hold!
School year and term rollovers initiating a sync hold
When a school year or term rolls over, the sync updates from your district's SIS will typically trigger a sync hold which is expected! In most cases, the rollover changes will contain significant updates to the rostering data in Clever. Here are some changes that would be expected:
- Sections: 100% deleted, 100% created
- Students: 100% updated, 10-25% deleted, 10-25% created
- Teachers: 10-20% deleted, 10-20% created
If you're not sure about the hold, navigate to your Clever sync report in your district dashboard > Sync page. From there, you can select the 'Download Changes' option to the right of each data type. This will download a .zip file which includes the creations, updates, deletions, warnings and errors for that data type.
For detailed information regarding school year and term rollovers, please visit: