Once an application has been requested from a district's Clever Portal, district admins can configure sharing permissions in order to determine what district data should be shared with the app, and which district users should have access to the application from their Clever portals.
What data is shared with apps?
Clever provides each application with only the data necessary for its operation. District admins can view and modify what data is being shared by navigating to their district dashboard > Home page, and then clicking on the application's name to open the app overview page.
Sharing data with an app
Clever acts as a repository that stores the data from a district's student information system (SIS), which is then shared to each application. A district might share different data with each unique application depending on the type of application it is, licensing contingencies, and so on. In Clever, this is done by setting up sharing permissions.
If you are connecting with an application for the first time, you can follow the setup guide in the dashboard to begin sharing data with an application.
- Once you select 'Begin setup', you will complete the following steps outlined in this guide to finalize your connection with the application:
- Step 1: Sharing data
- Step 2: Viewing and resolving any data quality issues
- Step 3: Finalizing the setup by completing any application-specific steps
Here’s how to edit your data sharing permissions for an application:
- From your Clever district dashboard > Home page, click on an application name to be directed to the application’s overview page.
- Select 'Edit sharing' under the 'Shared Data' box.
- From the data sharing page, you’ll specify which sharing type you would like to use in order to share data with the application. These settings will also determine which of your district users will have the application available to them in their individual portals.
- You have four options for how to share data (the different types of sharing are mutually exclusive, you cannot choose two):
- Share by District: All district data in Clever will be synced to the application. This includes district admins, schools, teachers, students, staff and sections.
- Share by Schools: Clever will only share any data associated with the schools you've selected (e.g. students, teachers, sections, staff).
- Share by Rules: Clever will only share data that meets the specific criteria you've set. This is the most recommended sharing type as it provides districts with the flexibility in determining specifically what data should be included, or excluded, in the sharing. Read this article to learn more about how to Share by Rules!
- School Site Sharing: If your district has designated School Tech Leads in Clever, you can provide them with the ability to configure application sharing permissions for their associated schools. More info here!
- Once you’ve selected your sharing type and configured your sharing permissions, select 'Save Changes'.
The data in Clever-integrated applications will be dynamically updated each time the app syncs to Clever. This typically happens every 24 hours. For more on app syncs, please visit: How often will my applications sync with Clever?
Viewing the data being shared with an app
Once you've configured your sharing permissions for an application, you have the option to download CSV files containing the schools, students, teachers, staff and sections that are being shared with the application through Clever. By default, district admins are always shared with applications!
- Shared Data: This box provides a summary of the data being shared based on the application sharing permissions you have set.
- Filters: Some application partners implement filters on their end to filter the data being shared with them. If any filters are set for your district, they will show in the 'Filters' box in the middle of the app overview page. For more information, please visit: What are app filters?
- Application Receives: Click the blue download arrow icon to the right of the data type (schools, students, teachers, staff or sections) to download a more detailed list of the data being shared. The numbers in this box are a combination of the data your district has shared along with the filters the app partner has put in place.
- For example: Shared Data - Data filtered out by app filters = Application Receives
The 'Application Receives' files only provide a few basic details about which records are being synced, even though the application might be receiving more details about each record.
- For example: The students.csv does not include the student email address, but the application partner might be receiving student email addresses. For details on which data is synced to applications for each record, visit: What data is available to my connected applications?
Editing app sharing permissions
If you have any questions about setting up your sharing permissions, or what data is being shared with your district applications, please reach out to Clever support! We are happy to help!