When converting your existing district customers to Clever user accounts, you'll need to match your existing records to records in Clever. Doing this preserves historical data and ensure that records are not deleted, then re-created.
Clever's Matchmaker is a tool that takes records from your application and matches them with records in Clever. You can access Matchmaker by logging into your Clever dashboard and clicking Matchmaker on the left menu bar. Note that Matchmaker is currently only enabled for applications that support Secure Sync, since it requires access to full district records.
How it works
- A district authorizes your application through Clever and shares records.
- You upload a CSV with your existing student, teacher, admin, school, or section/enrollment records.
- Clever's Matchmaker matches the records you uploaded with the records shared with your application in Clever.
- Clever emails you a CSV with a list of both matched records and a list of unmatched records.
Input CSV guidelines
When creating an input CSV to upload to Clever's Matchmaker, follow the guidelines below to help produce accurate matches. Use this example CSV as a guide.
- It must be a valid CSV file (in accordance with RFC 4180)—that means:
- Every row should have the same number of columns, separated by commas
- Any values with commas in them should be surrounded by a matching set of quotes
- It must contain a column header for each field
- It should contain as many fields as possible—the more information you provide about each record, the better chance it will have of being matched
- It must contain a unique internal identifier for each record—you should use this identifier to associate matched records with the original accounts in your application
- It should contain exactly one record for each user—if a user has multiple accounts in your application, please choose one to match with Clever since duplicate records will not be matched
Output CSV format
Clever's Matchmaker outputs a CSV containing all of the fields from your input CSV including additional identifying fields from Clever:
- Column headers for your input fields will begin with app (e.g.
- Column headers for Clever fields will begin with clever (e.g.
matchmaker_resultscolumn will contain a string telling you whether or not the record was matched. There are five possible values for this column:
match:The record was matched
from app, no match:The record from your application could not be matched to any record in Clever
from app, duplicate:The record from your application was a duplicate with another record in your application. To match these records, we recommend you pick one record to serve as the representative for all groups of duplicate records, remove the rest, and re-run Matchmaker.
from Clever, no match:The record in Clever could not be matched to any record from your application
from Clever, duplicate:The record from Clever was a duplicate with another record from Clever. To match these records, you may need to work with the district and Clever Support to clean up their data.
Once you receive your matching output, you can associate the matched records in your application with the corresponding Clever ID (found in the
Matchmaker will only match application records against district records that have been shared with your application in Clever. Matchmaker input and output CSVs are purged from Clever's system 30 days after upload.