This article covers the following:
- What are Clever Badges?
- How do Clever Badges work?
- What's required for setup?
- Printing Badges for the first time
- Printing Badges for new students
- Can Badges be reset?
- Can I use Badges with older students?
- Can teachers use Clever Badges?
- Setting teachers up for success
Clever’s Instant Login allows students and teachers to safely access education apps with a single username and password. With Clever Badges, students can simply hold up a physical Badge to the computer's webcam instead of typing in credentials!
Instant Login with Clever Badges allows students to use a physical badge in lieu of typing in passwords to authenticate users for learning applications.
Here’s how the login flow works:
- Students navigate to clever.com/badges and click “Allow” in the browser prompt to give Clever access to their camera.
- For ease of use, we recommend setting clever.com/badges as the homepage for your students
Using that protocol, we allow students to access their Clever applications without needing to type in usernames and passwords. Because the QR codes are not stored, Clever will never have access to the usernames and passwords used for logins.
You will need to following items for implementation and use of Badges:
- Clever account with Secure Sync (Click here to register for an account)
- Supported web browser (Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer, or Safari)
- Computers/devices with webcams
To begin using Badges, navigate to the Badge Settings page of the Clever Dashboard and select "Begin Setup".
On the Configuration page you can begin by selecting which grade levels you would like to enable for Clever Badges. If you prefer to print badges on a per student basis, select "Distribute badges to students individually."
Next select which schools you would like to enable badges for and press, "Save Selection"
On the distribution tab you can choose to download badges for individual schools, multiple schools, or all enabled schools. Additionally, district admins can choose to download all active badges or just badges that are new. This feature is great for students who join the classroom midyear!
Depending on the size of the download, the badges will either download to your computer immediately, or Clever will email you a link to a zip file, which will have the following format:
- Clever Badges
- A list of folders with the names of each school
- A subfolder containing badges by grade level containing the QR code and name of each student.
- A folder containing badges, sorted by section containing the QR code and name of each student.
The PDFs match the Avery label template for 2” square Avery labels. Print out Badges and distribute them to your students!
After you’ve set up Badges for all students, you can print Badges for new students only by selecting download "New" on the Distribution tab.
If you'd like to create new Badges for all students, click the red "Void all exiting badges" button on the Settings tab. Once voided, you will be able to download new badges in the Distribution area of Badge Settings.
Yes, Clever Badges can be reset. If a student loses their Badge, they should immediately reach out to either their teacher or district administrator. A new Clever Badge image will be issued, which can then be printed out, and the old Badge will be invalidated.
Yes, students of all ages can use Clever Badges. Students grades 4-12 can be enabled on a per student basis from the student's Detail View in the Data Browse.
No, Clever Badges only supports students at this time.
As part of your rollout, we recommend sending teachers our Clever Badges Teacher Guide, which contains login instructions as well as information on how to reprint students’ Badges.