1. How can I configure my Chromebooks so students log in with Clever Badges?
2. What are the requirements to use Clever Badge logins to Chromebooks?
3. How do users first log into Chromebooks, then access Clever?
4. How do I troubleshoot issues with Clever Badge logins to Chromebooks?
5. How do I use a 'Skip Parameter' so that users get logged into the Clever Portal when they log into the Chromebook?
Clever works seamlessly with Chromebooks, which allows students and teachers to access all of their learning applications while only logging in once per device. There are two methods to use Clever with Chromebooks:
- Users use Clever Badges to log into Chromebooks
- Users log into Chromebooks, then access Clever
Each method can be configured separately for different Organizational Units (OUs).
Students can log in directly to Chromebooks using their Clever Badges. This is a great option for young students who have trouble logging in with Google credentials.
What is the student experience?
- Students open their Chromebooks, click a blue button, and show their Clever Badge.
- The students are automatically logged in to their Chromebooks. In addition, the students’ Clever portals are automatically opened for them (students do not need to log in again).
- Students can click on any applications and begin their learning session.
How do I set it up in Clever?
Just go to the Badge Settings > Chromebook page of your Clever dashboard and click Launch Setup:
In order to set up Clever Badge logins to Chromebooks, there are a few required steps:
1. Clever Badges must be enabled on the Clever Badges settings page.
2. Students' Google email addresses must be present in the Clever data. Please navigate to the Data Browser and click on a student's record to see if the email address field is populated with the user's Google email address:
3. Get started by launching the Chromebooks Setup Guide!
- Please note that the Chromebook Kiosk Mode is not compatible with Clever Badge logins.
This is a great option when users know their Google credentials and are comfortable logging in with a username and password.
What is the student experience?
- Students open Chromebooks, and log in with their usual Google email address and password
- After login, the district’s Clever portal is automatically opened for them (students do not need to log in again).
- Students can click on any applications, and begin their learning session.
How do I set it up in Clever?
In your Clever Dashboard, visit your Instant Login Settings. There, make sure the Identity System is “Google Apps". For more information on setting up Instant Login with Google, see our Help Center Article.
How do we set it up in our Google Admin Dashboard?
In your Google Admin Dashboard, visit Chrome User Settings under Device Management. There, under Startup, set the homepage URL to be the URL of your Clever Portal:
Save your settings, and you’re done! Now, when students and teachers open their Chromebook, log in with Google, and they’ll be taken straight to their Clever Portal and logged in to Clever automatically.
How do I troubleshoot issues with Clever Badge logins to Chromebooks?
Below are some troubleshooting tips that we put together in case you are seeing unexpected issues logging into Chromebooks with Clever Badges.
Test Chromebook logins with Clever Badges
- Create a test Organizational Unit (OU) and apply the Clever Badges settings to the OU.
- Choose a student to test and generate a Clever Badge for them. Note, this must be a real student unless you have a test user with a Google account syncing with Clever.
- Move that student to the test OU.
- Move the Chromebook you’re using to the test OU.
- Log into the Chromebook using the student’s Clever Badge.
Check your setup
- Do not use the “reset password on first login" functionality. Make sure you're not using this functionality for any users on the domain. This functionality isn't compatible with direct Clever Badge logins.
- Generate Clever Badges. Make sure you’ve generated Clever Badges for your users. You can find instructions for generating Clever Badges here.
If Chromebooks do not prompt users to log in with Clever Badges:
- Check the OU settings for your devices. The Chromebooks you want to set up to use Clever Badge logins should be in the OU with the Clever Badges settings applied.
- Check your device settings. Kiosk mode and public sessions should both be turned off for the Chromebooks you want to use with Clever Badges.
- Check your version of Chrome You should be using Chrome OS version M52 or later.
If an error message appears after the Clever Badge is scanned:
- Check the Chromebook OU settings for your students. Students who login with Clever Badges should be in the OU with the Clever Badges settings applied. If students are not in the correct OU, their badges will not be able to authenticate into Chromebooks.
- Validate the Clever Badge is working. Test the Clever Badge by using it to log in at clever.com/in/badges. If that login isn’t working, the badge has likely been invalidated. You may have to generate a new Clever Badge for the student.
- Check your Clever sync for Google email addresses. Students using Clever Badges to log into Chromebooks should all have Google email addresses synced to your Clever account. Clever uses this information to match users with their Google accounts. You can always check your synced data here.
You can take the following steps so that users also get authenticated into their Clever Portals when they log into their Chromebooks.
Google must be enabled as an authentication method under your Instant Login settings in order for this setting to work!
Step 1. Find your district-specific Portal URL on the Portal Settings page:
Step 2. Go to your Chrome user settings and scroll down to the Startup Settings section. Find the Homepage URL:
Step 3. Enter your Portal URL and append it with ?skip=1&specify_auth=google
Users will be logged into the Clever Portal automatically after they have logged into the Chromebook, using their Google credentials or Clever Badge!