✓ Runs every six hours, by querying the Skyward API
✓ Pulls all students and teachers who have an active school association
✓ Supports co-teachers for sections
✓ Supports multiple student contacts per student; these are pulled from the guardian data in Skyward
For student contacts we are unable to:
- filter contacts
- customize contact data
The minimum version for the Skyward API sync is 05.16.10.00.xx (any addendum will work)
Setting up the API sync
1. Obtain API credentials
Finding your API credentials will differ depending on how you’re hosted. Please follow the directions below:
- Secure Cloud (ISCorp) Hosted Districts: Create an IT Services service call to have ISCorp set up the Read Only API by visiting the Support Center or ISCorp Helpdesk.
- Managed Services / TN State Hosted Districts: Create an IT Services service call to have Skyward set up the Read Only API install by visiting the Support Center.
- Self-Hosted Districts: Use the API Server Launch Kit to set up the Read Only API. Optionally, districts can create an IT Services service call to have Skyward set up the Read Only API as a billable service by visiting the Support Center.
2. Change sync type of Clever account
If you already have a Clever account and are switching to the API sync, please contact Clever Support. Our team will need to switch your account sync type before you can move forward. If you signed up for a new account, the Skyward API sync will be the default sync type for your account and no switch needs to be made. You're free to move on to the next step!
3. Enter API credentials in Clever
Once your account's sync type is the Skyward API sync, please take the credentials for the API and enter them into the Sync Settings page in your Clever Dashboard:
- Web URL: API URL (does not include swagger suffix)
- Username: Key
- Password: Secret
Push "Sync Now" on the Sync Settings page to kick off the initial Skyward API sync!
If the record (student, teacher, section) is in Clever but data is missing or incorrect for the record (i.e. incorrect email, missing username), navigate to the Sync > Settings page in your Clever Dashboard. Under Sync Controls, click on View field mappings
Here you can view which fields Clever is pulling for each record and field. In the below example:
- If a teacher's email address was incorrect, confirm the email is correct in the "StaffMember_Email" field in Skyward
- If a teacher is missing State_teacher_id, you will see that Clever is not currently pulling this data. Please contact Clever Support to see what options may be available to pull this data.
If an entire record is missing, we recommend checking the following:
- Does the student have an Active SchoolID?
- Does the student have a username?
- Does the teacher have an Active SchoolID and isTeacher = True ?
- Is the Skyward instance on version 05.16.10.00.xx or newer?
The Skyward API Sync cannot sync data resources that contain forward slashes /, ampersands & , or hashes # in the ID value. If these special characters are present in any of the school ID or section ID records, the Auto Sync will fail. You will see an error on the Sync page of the Dashboard.
If you have any additional questions please feel free to open a support request and our team will be glad to help further!