Your district's non-instructional staff (i.e. non-teaching staff), or employees who do not have a designated roster in your district's Student Information System (SIS), are referred to as staff in Clever. Occasionally, they will also be referred to as school admins. The two terms are synonymous.
Individual staff users can be added directly to Clever bypassing the sync from your district's student information system (SIS)!
Creating custom staff in Clever
From your Clever district dashboard:
- Navigate to your Support Tools > Custom Data page.
- Select the 'Add custom data' option and then 'Staff.
Fill out the form beginning with associating the staff member with their school(s), or all schools.
- For all schools, click the switch icon.
- For one school, begin typing the name in the search box to select it.
- For multiple schools, type and select each school from the search bar.
- Enter their basic user information.
- Choose their Clever role: Clever Roles: Overview of Roles & Permissions
- If you prefer this user logs in to Clever using the district's default Identity Provider (IDP) from your SSO Settings page, leave the 'Username' and 'Password' fields blank. If you would like to customize this user's credentials, enter them under 'Additional settings'.
- Enter an optional 'Expiration date' if you would like their record to be automatically deleted after the selected date.
- If you would like the user to be notified via email that their account has been created, check the optional 'Also notify custom staff of their new account via email' box.
- The notification email can also be sent after their custom staff record has been saved by using the envelope icon to the right of their name.
- Click 'Create staff'.
It will take up to 15 minutes for this staff user's record to be created in Clever. You will know this process is complete when:
- You see their name hyperlinked in blue on the Custom Data page.
- Or, you are able to locate them using the Clever search bar at the top of your Home page.
Finally, be sure to share any needed applications with them! For instructions, visit: Staff Setup: Sharing staff with applications
Staff permissions in Clever
By default, custom staff are assigned a 'Portal Access only' role in Clever which means they will only have access to the applications that have been shared with them on a district-level.
The alternative Clever staff role that provides greater permissions is the School Tech Lead role. For information, visit: Clever Roles: School Tech Lead
Updating staff roles
Most staff updates happen by uploading an updated staff.csv to Clever (see this article for details). This includes changes to name, email, title, and so on. However, if you wish to update the role of a staff user from Portal Access to School Tech Lead:
Use the Clever search bar at the top of your district dashboard to locate the user and open their profile page.
Click on the drop down arrow to the right and select 'Update Clever Role'.
- A pop-up will appear allowing you to select the role of 'School Tech Lead'.
- Select 'Save'.
To remove custom staff from Clever:
- Navigate to your district dashboard > Support Tools > Custom Data page.
- Select the 'Staff' tab at the bottom of the screen.
- Locate the user, and use the trash icon to the far right of their name to delete.
If you have any questions about how district staff should access Clever, please reach out to Clever support! We are happy to help!