Custom data is a great way to create rostering data within Clever that does not exist in your district’s student information system (SIS). This can be helpful in cases such as summer school, organizing unique groups of students, and adding staff members who are not in the district’s SIS. Custom data will not overwrite any rostering data being synced to Clever by your SIS, nor can it be overwritten by your SIS synced data. Custom data is also indistinguishable from your synced SIS data to most Clever-integrated applications.
Adding custom data
District administrators can create custom data in bulk or individually based on the data type they are creating. Click 'Add custom data' in the top right corner of the Custom Data page to individually add custom data.
Students can be created on an individual basis or bulk uploaded through a CSV file.
- To create an individual custom student, navigate to your Custom Data page and click 'Add custom data' > 'Students' which will open the 'Create student' form. Once created, custom student accounts can be treated like an SIS-synced student account.
- To bulk upload custom student data, navigate to the Sync Upload page. From there, you can select the 'UPLOAD STUDENTS CSV' button under 'Custom Data'.
- You can download/edit the file you've uploaded by selecting 'custom_students.csv' under 'Download Existing Files'. If it's your first time uploading the custom data files, you can download blank templates by selecting 'Download example files'.
Custom teachers can only be created on an individual basis. From your Custom Data page, select 'Add custom data' > 'Teachers' which will open the 'Create teacher' form.
From here, you can assign the custom teacher to a school and to a section. Once created, custom teacher accounts can be treated like an SIS-synced teacher account.
Custom sections can be created by district admins or School Tech Leads either individually or in bulk via a CSV file upload.
- To individually create a custom section: From your Custom Data page, select 'Add custom data' > 'Sections'. This will open a custom section creation form where you can configure the data for the custom section as well as choose teachers and students associated with that section.
- To bulk upload custom sections: Navigate to the Sync upload page. From there, you can click the 'UPLOAD SECTIONS CSV' button and 'UPLOAD ENROLLMENTS CSV' button under 'Custom Data'. Typically, a custom sections bulk upload will need to be accompanied by a custom enrollments file. You can download/edit the files you have uploaded in the past by clicking 'custom_sections.csv' and 'custom_enrollments.csv' under 'Download Existing Files'. If it's your first time uploading the custom data files, you can download blank templates by selecting 'Download example files'.
Custom staff can only be created on an individual basis. From your Custom Data page, select 'Add custom data' > 'Staff' which will open a 'Create staff' form. You can assign staff to all schools by using the toggle "Assign to all schools" as shown below, or you can assign them to a specific school.
Browsing custom data
The 'Browse' tab from the Custom Data page allows you to view all of the custom data that has been uploaded. Click between each tab to look at the different custom user types. You can edit or delete custom users from this page by clicking the buttons under the 'Actions' column.
Removing custom data
To remove custom data from Clever:
- Navigate to your district dashboard > Support Tools > Custom Data page.
- Select the appropriate custom data tab at the bottom of the screen.
- Locate the user or section, and use the trash icon to the far right to delete.
Custom data reports
The Custom Data 'Reports' tab will show how the custom data has changed since the latest sync. You can also find updates on the most recent sync status here. The 'Previous' column represents the number of records of each type that existed before the latest sync. Click the 'Download files' links to look at errors and to see specific changes in the data.
If you have any questions about managing custom data, please reach out to Clever support! We are happy to help!