Teachers and students can chat back and forth with Messages right from the Clever Portal! From the Messages tab, you can search for a student and send them a message. You can turn your Messages on or off at any time. To find out more, read below!
To get started:
- Navigate to the Messages tab at the top of your Portal. Once there, you can customize how your account will be displayed to students.
- To begin a chat with a student, simply type in the student's name in the search bar or select the student's name from the list on the left-hand side.
You can also filter your students by class. To do this:
- Click on the ‘Classes’ drop-down menu to find the desired class. Once a class is selected, only students from that class will appear in the list of students below.
To begin a chat with a student, first, locate and select them from the left-hand side.
- To send a message, select 'Send' or press the return key.
- Once the message has been sent, the student will receive a notification in their Portal letting them know they have a new message from their teacher.
- When a student sends a message to you, you will receive a notification at the top of your Portal.
- A numerical value will appear to display the total number of new and unread messages.
- Once you click on Messages, you will be directed to the Messages page.
- Unread messages will remain in bold on the left-hand side, with a blue marker signifying that they are unread.
- When you click an unread message from a student, your chat thread with that student will open and you can read the message the student sent.
- As a result, the red notification number at the top of the screen will decrease to the total number of unread messages that remain.
All message history will be saved until the end of the school year and can be requested from Clever by a Clever District Administrator.
You can turn Messages on or off at any time!
- To disable messages from being sent or received, select the 'Settings' link next to your name. Once there, toggle the switch to the 'off-position' and select 'Save'.
- If a student tries to send you a message while your Messages are turned off, they will be notified and not be able to send you a message until you have turned Messages back on.
You can turn your Messages back on at any time from the 'Settings' link to begin chatting again!