By configuring custom sharing recommendations for districts, you can suggest, as closely as possible, the correct users and rosters the application needs to set up their district customers.
When choosing to “share custom records”, once the recommendations have been accepted, the district will only share that rostering information that meets the specific criteria you've set. Please make sure all the data you need is included in the recommendation!
The data shared with the application via sharing rules updates based on the new data synced to Clever by the district.
What is a sharing recommendation?
A sharing recommendation is a request for specific data that you can send to a district to ensure only the data they want to receive is being shared. A district administrator can review the recommendation and immediately accept the sharing update.
For example, sharing recommendation might include:
- All the math classes in a particular school
- The math classes for grades 3-6 in the district, except for in two schools
- One specific teacher’s 11th-grade homeroom class
Think of a custom recommendation as a sentence:
- "Share all sections where <a field in Clever> <is/is not/contains/does not contain> <value>”
How to recommend custom record sharing:
To request a sharing update for a district, go to the district’s profile page in your dashboard and use the ‘Update sharing’ button in the upper left. Alternatively, you can navigate to the Sharing tab from the district profile and select ‘Edit’.
Once you select 'Edit' to recommend sharing for a specific district, select 'Share custom records' to configure specific data sharing rules.
For other sharing types, see our guide to sending sharing recommendations for specific districts.
Constructing custom record recommendations:
Our interface allows you to create recommendations with the same structure as outlined in the 'What is a sharing recommendation?' section above (e.g. share all sections where <a field in Clever> <is/is not/contains> <value>).
- There are a number of 'Fields' that applications can request to either include or exclude data with the sharing recommendation. The fields available are teachers, sections, students, and school admins
- We recommend adding non-school constraints first as the larger the district, the longer the school list can be!
- The modifiers available are:
- Is not
- Is one of
- Is not one of
- contains text
- does not contain text
Tips and best practices:
- You can include and/or exclude subsets of data. Data can be excluded by selecting the 'is not one of' modifier.
- For values, you can either type in any value you’d like, or use it as a search bar to find and click on the value you want. Some values will not be available in a dropdown as the district has not authorized an application to see them.
- Warning: if you are typing an option in a text field, you must click 'Add: [value]’ or else the value will not be saved
- If you’d like to filter down a rule further, you can select the ‘+ADD' option to add new criteria. This will act as an 'and' statement, rather than an 'or' statement.
- Example Rule with Filters: Share all sections that are located at Pineapple Elementary School AND their section grade level is 1 AND the section name must contain the text 'homeroom'.
- If you recommend sharing specific students, you will also have the option to select which of these students' subjects or courses you'd like to receive. You can even choose to share no sections at all! If sections are shared, you will also receive the sections' associated teacher(s).
- Once you have finished creating your first rule, you can click “Add Rule” to add more sharing recommendations.
- When you have multiple rules, the two rules don’t interact with each other. This means if you want to build off the existing rule, you'll want to add a filter to the rule itself, rather than create a new rule entirely.
- If a rule is a sentence, having multiple rules is a paragraph:
"Share all sections where grade is one of 6, 7, 8.” Also, "Match all staff where school is Pineapple Elementary.”
- We highly recommend adding a message so that the district administrator can easily understand the request being made
Once you have finished creating the rules and associated filters, select ‘Next', add a message, and then 'Save' to send the recommendation to the district. You can only have one open sharing recommendation for a specific district at a time.
Editing or deleting a sharing recommendation:
If you’d like to change or remove a sharing recommendation, you can do so by going to the district’s page and going to the Sharing tab.
If you have any questions about setting up your sharing recommendations or what you are requesting from connected districts, please reach out to Clever Support!