Clever has partnered with Canvas to create a seamless way to provide account creation, as well as Single Sign-On (SSO) access for users. There are two options for enabling SSO to Canvas from Clever:
- Clever SSO via SAML
- Canvas SSO + rostering
If you are already using Kimono/grade passback and only want to use Clever for SSO, you can do so by using the first option, Clever SSO via SAML. Choosing this method will add a new SSO pathway to access Canvas from Clever while preserving your current rostering and grade passback setup.
If your district intends to use Clever for rostering and single sign-on purposes using the Canvas SSO + rostering application, please note the following cautions:
- Your district will be prevented from using Kimono, Canvas’ grade passback tool.
- Your district's users will only be able to log in to Canvas through Clever. Users will no longer be able to log in to Canvas directly without being redirected to Clever to facilitate the login. (i.e. no hybrid logins).
Clever SSO via SAML
1. Add the Canvas SSO (SAML) application to your Clever Dashboard.
2. Configure Clever SSO via SAML for Canvas in your Clever Dashboard.
a. In your Clever Dashboard, click the Canvas app, click on 'Settings', and scroll to ‘SAML Details’. Click "Edit".
b. Set your district's Canvas domain (e.g. clever.instructure.com). Do not include https:// or any other value after ".com".
c. (Optional) If you would like to match users on a field other than email address, you can configure the matching attributes on a per-user basis from the settings page as well.
d. Copy the ‘Metadata URL,’ which you’ll enter in your Canvas admin account.
3. Complete configuration in your Canvas administrator account.
a. Log into your Canvas administrator account and navigate to Admin > Authentication. Click on the Choose an Authentication drop-down, then select SAML. Do not choose Clever.
b. Paste the metadata URL you copied from Clever in the IdP Metadata URI field.
c. Optional: Add your portal URL in the “Log Out URL” field.
d. Click Save.
e. The page will reload and automatically fill the SAML values.
f. Test the setup by opening a new incognito window. Go to
https://<YOURDOMAIN>.instructure.com/login/saml. You should be prompted to enter your Clever SSO credentials. You will then be logged in and redirected to Canvas.
Please note: Canvas will not automatically roster user accounts from successful SSO logins. Your district needs to work directly with Canvas to roster users through their manual or SIS import options.
Clever SSO + Rostering
To set up SSO for Canvas, please follow the directions below:
- Email your Canvas contact and let them know your intend to use SSO via Clever
- Navigate to Applications > Request Application and request the Canvas app. Select the option that says "SSO, Rostering"
- Share Canvas with all intended users
- In Canvas, navigate to Admin > Authentication, then click "Choose an Authentication Provider", and add Clever. There, you can enter your Clever District ID, choose a Login Attribute, and click Save. To secure your Clever District ID, please contact Clever Support.
- Confirm that users are able to log in to your district's instance URL. Please navigate to https://<your domain>.instructure.com/login/clever and confirm that a student and teacher can log in to Canvas using Clever.
- Once these two steps are completed, reach out to Clever Support, and we can able to enable the Canvas icon on your Clever portal.
If you have any questions about setting up Clever SSO, please contact Clever Support. We are happy to help!