Smarter data sharing allows you to recommend sharing settings to districts that are connected with your app. You can send updated recommendations even after districts have enabled data sharing with you. If you do not set specific recommended sharing rules for the specific district, the district will receive your global sharing recommendation.
When you send a sharing recommendation to a district, they can preview the sharing settings and choose to accept or decline the sharing update. If a district accepts your recommendation, the recommended sharing settings will replace any current sharing rules that the district has configured for your application. After accepting, the district can still update their sharing settings at any time.
This article covers how to send sharing recommendations to a district. To view the district experience, see our district admin guide to sharing recommendations.
How to set recommended sharing for a district
To request a sharing update from a district, go to the district’s profile page in your dashboard and use the ‘Update sharing’ button in the upper left. Alternatively, you can navigate to the Sharing tab from the district profile and select ‘Edit’.
This will open a setup guide that will walk you through the following steps to recommend sharing rules for a district:
1. Choosing a sharing type:
- You can recommend that districts:
- Share all records in the district
- Share all records in specific schools
- Share custom records
2. Setting customized recommendations
- If you choose to recommend sharing all records in the district, you’ll skip this step.
- If you select ‘Share all records in specific schools’, you will be able to select which schools should be shared.
- If you select ‘Share custom records’, you will be able to configure custom sharing rules for the district. For an in-depth guide to configuring sharing rules, see this guide.
3. Preview and save
- On this step, preview the sharing settings you configured in the earlier steps of the guide.
- Add a message for the district that will appear in their dashboard when they review your recommended sharing settings.
Once you save your sharing recommendation, the district will receive a notification via email as well as within the Clever dashboard. To view the district experience, you can reference this district-facing article.