Districts can easily set up single sign-on (SSO) for Schoology, providing a seamless login experience for every user.
There are two options for enabling SSO to Schoology from Clever:
- Clever SSO via SAML (recommended)
- Clever SSO via Saved Passwords
Important notes about Clever SSO via SAML:
If you choose Clever as your SAML IDoP for Schoology, users will not be able to use another third-party IDP (e.g. Google, ADFS) to log into Schoology. Users can continue to log in to Schoology via app.schoology.com and their Schoology-managed credentials. If your district uses another third-party IDP to log into Schoology and would like to retain that login path, please see our Clever SSO via Saved Passwords setup guide.
iOS - Login flow
All authentication methods, including Clever Badges, are compatible with both iOS login flows
- Log in directly via the Schoology app.
If you click the app and search for your district, you’ll be redirected to the Clever login flow. Once you log in, you’ll be redirected to the Schoology app.
- Log in via the Clever app (or https://clever.com in a web browser)
The user will log in to Clever and click on the Schoology icon. The user will be logged in to Schoology in the web browser.
Clever SSO via SAML
The first step is to ensure your district users have accounts in Schoology. Please work with Schoology to ensure Schoology accounts are created prior to setting up SSO via SAML in Clever. Clever does not have a rostering integration with Schoology
- Log into your district dashboard and add the Schoology application via this link: https://schools.clever.com/applications/add/saml-schoology
- Share the users that need SSO access to Schoology
- In your Clever Dashboard, click the Schoology app, click on Settings, and scroll to SAML Details. Click Edit.
- Enter your Schoology domain (e.g. clever.schoology.com)
Do not include "https://" or anything after ".com"
- (Optional) Matching attributes will default to email for all users. If you’d like to use a different attribute to match users between Clever and Schoology, you can edit them on this page as well
- Click Confirm
- Under SAML Details copy your metadata URL:
- Log into your administrator account and navigate to Tools > School Management > Integration: https://clever.schoology.com/system_settings/integration
- Go to the Authentication tab and click Cloud / On Premise Directory
- Paste the metadata URL from Clever in the Metadata URL field
- Click Fill fields below from metadata
- (Optional) "Match ID to Schoology Account Using field" should default to email. If you changed the matching attribute within Clever in Step 5, please choose the correct corresponding attribute here.
- Click Save
Once you’ve completed the above steps, you should be good to go! Make sure to test the Schoology app for each user type (student, teacher, etc.) and on different devices before rolling out to your users. If you encounter any problems, please contact Clever Support.
Clever SSO via Saved Passwords
1. District user accounts and credentials for the app:
- The first step is to ensure your district users have accounts and login credentials for the SSO (Saved Passwords) application. Please work with Schoology to ensure Schoology accounts are created and login credentials are configured. This must be done prior to setting up SSO in Clever.
2. Device setup
- Install the Clever Chrome extension on all non-iOS devices that will be used to access the application through Clever. This includes home devices for users who will be accessing this app from home. The Clever browser extension facilitates single sign-on for SSO (Saved Passwords) apps. Please visit this article for more information.
- The Clever browser extension is not required for iOS devices (e.g. iPads, iPhones) as these devices use the Clever app which acts as the browser extension. Please visit this article for more information.
3. Click here to add the Schoology app
4. Select Request application
5. On the next screen, select which schools you would like to have access to Schoology. Select Share
6. Select Finish
The base setup is now complete! Please see below for more information on the user experience and pre-populating user credentials.
User Experience (SSO via Saved Passwords)
When users first click on Schoology in the Clever Portal, they will be asked for their Schoology username and password. Clever will save this username and password for future use and enable one-click access.
If you would like to pre-populate credentials for users, you can navigate to this page: https://schools.clever.com/applications/ilpro-schoology/settings and follow the directions listed here: SSO (Saved Passwords) Overview and Setup